11 sec GT40 build....

I killed a couple of stock clutches running the old school M/T ET Drags, but then went out and bought a dual friction centerforce and never had another problem...with clutches anyway.
transmissions, axles..That's another story.

those tires are no comparison to modern drag radials but i wasnt really talking about clutch life, the radials are hard to get working in the first 60 feet with a clutch. there is a fine line between spinning and bogging on the radials. You cant really just dump the clutch like you would with a slick, you have to ride the clutch for most of first gear to get a decent sixty foot out of them. Its close to impossible to be consistent like this also.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you're killing yourself with the following:

B cam
65mm tb
Short tube headers
hacked MAF

If you didn't hit your goal, that would be my checklist of things to change, with the cam being the big one. If you remember 25thmustang, I want to say that his brother had a GT40 combo that struggled to run 11s until he went with a custom cam. That B cam is garbage, you can definitely do better... But if you manage to run 11s with it, more power to ya! :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
those tires are no comparison to modern drag radials but i wasnt really talking about clutch life, the radials are hard to get working in the first 60 feet with a clutch. there is a fine line between spinning and bogging on the radials. You cant really just dump the clutch like you would with a slick, you have to ride the clutch for most of first gear to get a decent sixty foot out of them. Its close to impossible to be consistent like this also.
Fair enough, I've never run them. I can't honestly give an opinion on radials... Those old wrinkle wall slicks would dead hook though. Damn, I wish I had pics of my old car wheelstanding..

I'm not understanding the bog thing I guess. Seems like that would be a power/torque problem.

If you arent agressive enough with the clutch they bog, then spin, if you are too agressive with the clutch, they just spin.

Radials need a strong, consistent hit. They dont like being shocked.

If you arent agressive enough with the clutch they bog, then spin, if you are too agressive with the clutch, they just spin.

Radials need a strong, consistent hit. They dont like being shocked.
actually they DO like to be shocked... but they like to be shocked then held. you need to keep the power to them. you can actually do a lot with the bog with air pressure in the tire

I think you're killing yourself with the following:

B cam
65mm tb
Short tube headers
hacked MAF

If you didn't hit your goal, that would be my checklist of things to change, with the cam being the big one. If you remember 25thmustang, I want to say that his brother had a GT40 combo that struggled to run 11s until he went with a custom cam. That B cam is garbage, you can definitely do better... But if you manage to run 11s with it, more power to ya! :nice:

the MAF may change soon also. looking at going to a 90MM lightning maf and a set of 24lb injectors. just need to get a buddy of mine to burn the chip to make it work

Maybe I missed it, but I did't see any description of what we're using as far as bottom end.. Is this going to be stock 302 c.i.d., 306, 347 stroker??

I put one in the low 11's on motor and mid 10's on the bottle, but there were NO similarities in the build. When I did mine it was before stroker kits and more cubes=more power so I used a .030 over windsor. I t0ok a set of HIPO 289 closed chamber heads and had bigger valves installed, milled .060, and ported the p*ss out of them. Gasket matched, polished runners and chambers . I can't remember exactly what CC the heads wound up being, but it seems like we calculated around 12:1 CR. Hooker long tubes, 3" inch exhust w/ flowmasters dumped, holley strip dominator intake, 850 holley, comp cam(no, I can't remember the numbers), Mallory uni-lite w/ hi-fire box(MSD). Used 90-10 shock up front with competition engineering lift bars out back. I miss that car.. shoulda kept it.
View attachment 150357

View attachment 150358

Have fun, man! I did!:D

I know of a few "gals" in N. Dakota that are right up your alley........................

So's my wife. Thanks though. Hell, man I'm 6'1" and In that pic I was only around 220lbs...damn.

Edit: Keep in mind that car carried my big ass down the 1/4 in 10 seconds...:shrug:
That's something.