110v Welder Vs 220v For Sheet Metal

adumb

Nov 27, 2007
I am in the market for my first welder. By the looks of it I will probably be using this 90% of the time for sheet metal stuff. ie. floor pans, quarter panels, trunk floor etc etc.

I have been looking at the Lincoln machines and from what I can tell the Lincoln 140c and the 180c both go down as low as 30amps. I already have a 220 hookup in my garage so that isn't a problem. what I am worried about is getting the more powerfull machine and not being able to turn it down enough to do 18-24 gauge sheet metal stuff. the 110v hookup machine would be cool incase I needed to bring it somewhere to do work. I do have a 220v Lincoln tombstone stick type welder already.

are there other brand machines that go down even lower on the amps that would be beneficial for sheet metal stuff?

if you had to pick a machine that was doing pretty much exclusively sheet metal repair type stuff what would be the best one? hopefully looking for people that have both machines and could tell me if there is or isn't a difference.

price isn't part of the problem. I can afford both of them I just want to know which one is better suited for my needs.

thanks,
adam

• Sponsors (?)

that looks pretty awesome but probably way more than i need. i do like how it goes down a little lower than the other machines on the low end of the power.

I bought this one used from a friend and repaired it. He bought one twice as expensive and keeps trying to buy this one back. I really like it-so does he.

http://airgasoutlet.com/products/miller-millermatic-180-auto-set-mig-welder-230volt

We had a thread like this come thru a few months back and @madmike1157 and @hoopty5.0 both brought up lotos brand machines. They seem to be a lot of bang for the buck for Chinese equipment.

is that airgas outlet website a reputable place? they have some pretty awesome prices.

Haven't bought from their website, but they have two retail locations in my area. One is good, the other, quite expensive, but good with warranty stuff.

I have a Miller 211 which will run on either 220v or 110v; best of both worlds. On 110v it puts out less power so you cant weld as thick of steel as on 220v, but it gives better control of the power for the thin stuff. That and switching out to .023 wire, it is way easier to weld thin sheet metal. Most of the time I run .030 wire on 220v and just switch it up for the thin work.

Reactions: 1 user