12.8s, reliability, cornering ability

MarcoCapone said:
It's not everyone who build up his car with resale value in mind! For my part I coudln't afford a 03/04 Cobra so I bought a GT and I'm slowly, as money comes in, building it the way I want and I dont want to sale it!!! Cobra are cool car(I dream of having one) but we cant all have one!!!

I know..I have a mid-11 sec daily driver that's worth about 1/2 of what I put into it. Just trying to be practicle here...although I' wasn't:D

• Sponsors (?)

Toms_2003_Stang said:
Dont forget to beef up the rear end as well: Welded axle tubes, 31 spline rear axle, aftermarket locking differential.
I was going to suggest that, but I was waiting for someone to mention "gears" first. :D

Thats kinda why I asked if he was going boosted, or n/a. Then, I could suggest a good gear ratio, then suggest the strong rear end at the same time.

hognutz said:
if all he wants is high 12's he won't have to beef up the rear or run gears if you goes with boost or spray.
That is true, but if he's going to run slicks at the track, I highly recommend beefing up the rear end, cause he's taking the risk of snapping a stock axle if he doesn't.

Second, if he's going to do gears, he might as well swap over a 31 spline setup while he's in there. No sense in doing a good job twice.

Depends are you wanting to do it with just one setup? ie same tires you autocross on you drag race on? Is a rim and tire change for the various areas a possiblity? Do you want FI? Or are you a NA kinda person?

I realized my goals were not going to be attainable with out either spending alot more money to make More power or swapping rims. So I swap rims.

Now since you ruled out nitrous. That expands the budget to get there. but here are a few ideas

NA .
some stg2 heads
Stg 2 cams ( or comp 270's if a blower is in the future but your not sure yet)
Headers (not getting in the fight over which just get something that flows better)
OR mid
catback
Plenum/tb combo
good dyno tune

*possible a stroker shortblock

Fi
Personally I'd go novi 2000 overkill on the stock bottom end yes but you will want more power and it will grow with you.
If not a vortech s trim
exhaust mods from above

Kb 1.7 should be able to get you there if yo can drive it.

Turbo's While very cool and make stupid power levels IMO the cost to power on a stock bottom end is not there. I would strongly suggest a ground up build if turbo's are the way you want to go.

Suspension
MM
Steeda
As far as I'm concerned only 2 worth messing with.

rearend.
Welded tubes, Weld/renforced torque boxes, 31 spline axles and diff, gears ( na or centri 4.10's positive or turbo's 3.73's)

frontend
tublar and coil-over conversion

Don't forget supporting mods.
SFC, Fuel system, brakes, rims, and etc.

BooWFO said:
Depends are you wanting to do it with just one setup? ie same tires you autocross on you drag race on? Is a rim and tire change for the various areas a possiblity? Do you want FI? Or are you a NA kinda person?

Fi
Personally I'd go novi 2000 overkill on the stock bottom end yes but you will want more power and it will grow with you.
If not a vortech s trim
exhaust mods from above

NA or turbo would be the most expensive route to take. So I'll go SC and I'd like to do it on tires that are neither biased for autocross nor drag racing (UNLESS, drag radials can provide decent cornering stability). I'm trying to build a true multi-purpose car, and having read the replies in my thread, it's possible. It looks like a Vortech S or SQ trim is in my future. I'll definitely give Tim at MPH a call. Luckily, I live close to his shop. :)

40th GT said:
NA or turbo would be the most expensive route to take. So I'll go SC and I'd like to do it on tires that are neither biased for autocross nor drag racing. I'm trying to build a true multi-purpose car, and having read the replies in my thread, it's possible. It looks like a Vortech S or SQ trim is in my future. I'll definitely give Tim at MPH a call. Luckily, I live close to his shop. :)
Oh I agree, I am building a multi purpose car. Just had to be realistic with my budget. I want 11's in the 1/4, 20+mpg, tame street manners, and able to hammer corners. So far I'm well on my way to reaching my goals.

BooWFO said:

I realized my goals were not going to be attainable with out either spending alot more money to make More power or swapping rims. So I swap rims.

Now since you ruled out nitrous. That expands the budget to get there. but here are a few ideas

NA .
some stg2 heads
Stg 2 cams ( or comp 270's if a blower is in the future but your not sure yet)
Headers (not getting in the fight over which just get something that flows better)
OR mid
catback
Plenum/tb combo
good dyno tune

*possible a stroker shortblock

Fi
If not a vortech s trim
exhaust mods from above

Kb 1.7 should be able to get you there if yo can drive it.

Turbo's While very cool and make stupid power levels IMO the cost to power on a stock bottom end is not there. I would strongly suggest a ground up build if turbo's are the way you want to go.

Suspension
MM
Steeda
As far as I'm concerned only 2 worth messing with.

rearend.
Welded tubes, Weld/renforced torque boxes, 31 spline axles and diff, gears ( na or centri 4.10's positive or turbo's 3.73's)

frontend
tublar and coil-over conversion

This is all really overkill,.. look at hotmustang331's car. Stock heads and stage 1 cams he is in the 12's. with stage 2 cmas alone he could go a tad deeper. I am mainly refering to the stage 2 heads and cams being required. I dont think they are. I put down about the same power as Hot did with ported heads, mind you I had electrical problems when I dyno'ed.. but I still dont think the heads are needed for 12's.

In all honesty, I would not use the same tires for all purposes.

I would invest in a set of spare drag wheels with drag slicks for the rear when you go to the track, and maybe a set of skinnies up front to lighten up the front end of the car for better weight transfer.

I would use a different set of tires for the street.

BTW, if you're going to go with a supercharger, then you're definately going to need to get the thing dyno tuned following the install, and I honestly don't recommend anything beyond 8psi. The reason being is the stock intnerals of the motor are not really built for boost, and if you run any more than 8psi, I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time (short time at that) before those internals give way. To be honest, 6 psi intercooled, headers, mid-pipe, and tune will give you plenty of power to make it into the 12's safely. When I say "safely", I'm referring to the inside of the motors safety. Believe me, you don't want to boost the car, then one day have the internals to fall apart on you.

JayC said:
What you want is exactly what the 03/03 Cobra has to offer, with reliability, You'll spend more getting your GT to that level and then lose it all when you resale. The Cobra will resale for much more than a modded GT:flag:

Jay

and the only 'tool' he'll need is a credit card :D

sometimes it's more fun to build/mod something than simply to buy something...:flag:

01Steeda said:
This is all really overkill,.. look at hotmustang331's car. Stock heads and stage 1 cams he is in the 12's. with stage 2 cmas alone he could go a tad deeper. I am mainly refering to the stage 2 heads and cams being required. I dont think they are. I put down about the same power as Hot did with ported heads, mind you I had electrical problems when I dyno'ed.. but I still dont think the heads are needed for 12's.
Yes I know have followed alot of his built up. Also he is on a more drag style setup. And to be honest it appears he drives his car something alot of people don't seem to what to learn when more power is just a phone call away.
If your on a roadcourse style suspension weigth transfer is not going to be as good thereby requiring more power to overcome the lack of getting outta the hole.
Also let's face it he thinks 12.8's is where he wants to be and granted high 12's are kinda fun low 12's are better, high 11's even more fun and then it the search for low 11's, then 10's then 9's. Or the flip side the hitting all the autocrosses in your area or open track days. Or jsut hammering the local curvey road, more power, or more suspension will bite you. Finding the happy median where the owner is happy is the hard part.

Oh and to all that are hating on JayC. Hmm he has a daily driven, 2v that runs mid11's to low 11's all day long. He does most of his work and is a great fountain of knowledge. I know he has helped me more than I can possible explain. Not to mention he is a great guy to hang out with.

You can pretty much do that with a stock car, drag radials, and a blower. I have seen a dozen or 03 - 04 cobras go high 11's with nothing but a pulley, catback, and DR's. No problem. The non intercooled KB will give you what you're looking for.

DBMSTNG said:
no it's not. 12's can easily be attained with street tires on a blown GT.
Assuming he learns to launch from the hole, and doesn't spin the tires like crazy. If he gets a roots style supercharger, and just punches the pedal, he's going to spin six ways from Sunday.

Buy the mongoose kit from www.modularpowerhouse.com (vortec SQ trim) for 3700...then throw WHATEVER suspension you want at it (bullitt package would be nice)...throw on some DRs and you would be running faster than a 12.8 if you can drive.

Dang, I went 12.79 @109 with 292RWHP on DRs...you should do ALOT better than that with 340-350RWHP. I think you can do that for around $4500.

Although I would like to run 12s on regular tires, but I just cant do it....not enough power....YET! :D

BooWFO said:
Yes I know have followed alot of his built up. Also he is on a more drag style setup. And to be honest it appears he drives his car something alot of people don't seem to what to learn when more power is just a phone call away.

Well not to brag, but I can drive pretty well. People dont realize how much slow shifts and shifting inconsistantly or at the wrong RPMs can slow you down. 95% of the people at the track cant shift worth beans. Usually at big events (fun ford weekend) my shifting is in the top 3-4 out of ALL the cars there. Everyone else is darn near like my regualr cruizing shifting speed lol...grandmaws. "if your frontend drops, you is too slow pops" :D