12 Second Fox

nickstone302

Jan 26, 2010
Maine
Hi guys after taking my play toy fox body down to epping this past weekend I have decided to make it a little more of a track car. As of right now the car has a 306ci sbf, gt40 heads, e303 cam, shorty headers, full flowmasters, 3.73s, and subframe connectors. I didn't run the car but comparing it to my past foxes is say it puts down 280-300ish rwhp. Any tips and or tricks. I know slicks would make a big difference in my 60' times and then again in my 1/4 times. I'll be picking up a set this weekend. Any idea what kind of times I should b running. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of intake? Any other bolt ons? Iron or aluminum gt40's? With a 5spd and slicks some people will say you should break 12's be realistically you will see low 13's. Oh and 280-300 is a bit optimistic, I'd say more like 250-270.

I've seen guys run 12s with similar builds, it just depends on how well it runs, how well you drive, and how well it hooks. My old high mileage 302 with ported 351 heads, X303 cam, Stealth intake, Holley 650, headers/exhaust, 3.73s and wore out BFG's went 12.8 spinning 1-3 gears.

E303/GT40 heads/Cobra intake/shorty headers is one of the most common cookie-cutter combos available for the 5.0 mustang. On a good tune our car makes 250-270 actual rwhp. If you made more than 300rwhp with your old GT, you had some premium parts on that car, but frankly given that you think this one is stronger than it was, I find that hard to believe. Some dynos, particularly the portable kind notoriously overestimate the actual power produced. 3.73s are a good gear, and the combo is decently strong. I'm gonna guess you'll run 103-106 mph if it's tuned well. Your ETs will depend on traction, but will range from mid 13s to high 12s.

Yours is similar to my 82, except mine is carbed and weighs just under 3k. It has been high 12 without spray. Should do it.

New England Dragway was the first track I ever went down, back in May 73, with a Kawasaki Mach 3! We were up there and were going to the hot rod weekend in July, but it was raining!

You can spray a stock block with a 75 shot all day everyday and probably never hurt it. If it blows up with that much then something was wrong to begin with or your tune sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea a good tune is key... If I spray mine I'll have no issue hitting it with a 175-200 but my tune will be on point.

But a turbo is in the back of my mind right now

Hi guys after taking my play toy fox body down to epping this past weekend I have decided to make it a little more of a track car. As of right now the car has a 306ci sbf, gt40 heads, e303 cam, shorty headers, full flowmasters, 3.73s, and subframe connectors. I didn't run the car but comparing it to my past foxes is say it puts down 280-300ish rwhp. Any tips and or tricks. I know slicks would make a big difference in my 60' times and then again in my 1/4 times. I'll be picking up a set this weekend. Any idea what kind of times I should b running. Thanks for the help.

I don't know if you ever said whether the car is a 5-speed or auto. Foxes can run low 12s on your engine combo. (one of my good friends ran 12.30s with that combo back in the '90s) It's all about the hook though. You've got a decent amount of power. If you plant it, the car will easily be in the 12s. I ran 12.91 @ 103 with a stock 302 in my '89 LX. Here's an article I wrote about it:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0812_1989_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

If for some reason I can get into the low 13s what would b a better option. Vortech vs spray. I'm a little more nervous about spraying it than I am tossing a small 6psi kit on it

I'm all about the boost. Nothing wrong with nitrous, but here's what I did:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0910_1989_mustang_lx_upgraded/index.html