13" Corvette brakes on a 66.

1979 Camaro

May 18, 2005
Here's my progress so far on the 66 Fastback.

C5 Corvette 97-2004 calipers and mounting brackets.

C4 13" rotors. They have more "back space" to move the calipers closer to the spindles for improved caliper to wheel clearance. Used the wheel hubs to layout the wheel stud pattern. Made steel rings to center the rotor on the hub.

1970 Torino drum brake spindles. They have the larger spindle and bearings. According to Hollander exchange the same as a 1970 Mustang but much cheaper.

Was going to use the 70 hubs but decided to purchase the Cobra Automotive aluminum huds. The 70 hubs had some lateral run out I didn't like. I believe if a guy made a mandrel for the hub so it could be set up in a lathe, the hubs could be turned true. The Cobra hubs are very nice but not cheap.

Made the spindle mounts out of 3/8" steel plate. Cold rolled steel.
Basic dimensions are 6"x 6". Used a hole saw to cut hole in the middle so the hub cleared. Used the drum backing plate holes to mount the plate. "Clocked" the caliper so it's on the trailing side of the spindle. Caliper bolts just clear the spindle upright.

Used a separate peice of steel to offset the caliper from the spindle mounting bracket. Had to be milled to center the caliper over the rotor. I will bolt and weld these peices together to make one solid caliper mounting bracket.

Bought drilled and slotted rotors from Rock Auto Inc.

With the exception of the Cobra huds this is a fairly inexpensive swap.

I will try to attach a few photos.

Any comments?

• Sponsors (?)

Any comments?[/QUOTE]

Yes, your user name is all wrong for the Classic Mustang threads. :nice: :D :rlaugh: :lol:
I'll follow that gem with a question: Why use the Corvette brakes instead of the Mustang Steve 13" Cobra rotor brake swap? :nono: Do you perceive a performance advantage, or do you just like to be controversial? :shrug:

13" Corvette brakes

First things first.

79 Camaro is the car I am currently driving. 02 LS1 motor that is great runner. Look in Car Craft April 2005.

I am a died in the wool GM guy.

The 66 fastback I am working on came to me from a friend of a friend. Great body style I have always liked.

Built a 5.0 roller cam, AFR 185 heads and Comp 274 cam that did 408 hp and 398 lb. ft. on the dyno. Tremec 5 speed tranny.

Almost as good as a stock LS1!

I had the C5 stuff from the 79 Camaro. Used it on the Camaro with good results.

The 96 rotors move the caliper away from the wheel spoke.

The C5 caliper is larger than the 13" Cobra and the entry level Baer kit.

Let's be honest, bigger is better.

The caliper brackets are about $20 worth of material. Maybe $50 for the machining for the centering rings and caliper mounts.

The big question is do I grind the "Corvette" logo off the front of the caliper
prior to final assembly?

If someone can help me with posting a photo I will show everything.

Best regards, Jim Brink

That's cool. You certainly can't beat the price, especially if it will outperform the Cobra brakes.

What I don't understand, however, is your statement that
the horsepower and torque of the 5.0 is "almost as good as a stock LS1!" I assume you're talking about the Corvette LS1 as opposed to the ones in SS Camaros, but from what I've read, the Corvette LS1 was rated at 350 horsepower and 375 pound-feet of torque. It appears you've exceeded that pretty substantially with the 5.0. :shrug:

With respect to your "big question," certainly you should grind the "Corvette" logo off the front of the caliper
prior to final assembly. With a question like that, I'm just thankful you didn't put an LS1 in the Stang. :D

13" brakes

I worked with TPIS for the wiring harness and computer mods, they specialize in fuel injected chev engines. They run have numerous LS1 engines on the dyno and they all run about 400 hp and 375 ft. lb.

Stock, no cam just engine dyno headers and fuel curves modified slightly.

My 79 Camaro has 3:73 gears and weighs 3600 lbs. 22 mpg on the highway and great driveability.

You don't know how close I came to putting a LS1 six speed combo in the 66 car. But then all the Ford and Chev guys would hate me.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ford makes good engines but the 4.6/5.4 is very difficult to shoe horn into the 66 compartment.

The 66 is a light car and the 302 will work well. The 5 speed will be fun.

I like to build different cars, last was a 67 Nova and before that a 72 Trans Am and 68 Firebird 400 car.

I enjoy the research prior to the build and looking at other peoples cars for ideas.

I'm already on the look out for the "next" project. Can ay one say "Mopar"?