18'' wheels on '67

drdan12

Mar 3, 2011
Hi, I've bought a '67 convertible Mustang few months ago, looking for new style wheels on it (on 14'' for the moment :) ) My choice is the Boss338 wheels on 18''. The sizes available are 18 x 8 & 18 x 9.5. I'm quite sure that the 9.5'' will be to tight for rear, so probably 18 x 8 all around could be a better choice. Backspacing 4.5'' and about 2mm offset. Will it fit you think ? Is someone here ever fit 18'' wheels on a stock suspension 67 ?

Thanks !
note : sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec, Canada :)

• Sponsors (?)

Hi, I've bought a '67 convertible Mustang few months ago, looking for new style wheels on it (on 14'' for the moment :) ) My choice is the Boss338 wheels on 18''. The sizes available are 18 x 8 & 18 x 9.5. I'm quite sure that the 9.5'' will be to tight for rear, so probably 18 x 8 all around could be a better choice. Backspacing 4.5'' and about 2mm offset. Will it fit you think ? Is someone here ever fit 18'' wheels on a stock suspension 67 ?

Thanks !
note : sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec, Canada :)

check dodgestang link bellow. might fit but most run 7" front and 8" rear.

http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire Fitment Guide 67-8.pdf

I have 18 x 8's front and back with a 4.12" backspace..225/40R18 Front....245/40R18 Rear...should shave front lips...and you will need stiffer shocks like kyb gas-adjust...stock ones have too much travel...you'll scar the tire and your fender lip everytime you turn and hit a bump.

I pretty sure that once you go to an 18" wheel, you can run a wider front tire since the ball joint/spindle height that restricts everything under a 17" to 8" wide, can now be over come.

Maybe someone with 18" wheels and at least stock spindles can measure the distance between the upper ballpoint and the inner most portion of their wheels, and post the relevant tire/wheel information to confirm or deny this.

I know this is something I have considered, because I am afraid the rear will push through the turns with 315's out back and 245's up front.

Well...I know that the 255 45 17 on the front my 68 on a 17x8....are darn near impossible to turn unless you are driving. If you wanted bigger than that...I hope you have power ;)

Oh come on, I have 255 40 17 on a 9" Cobra wheel on the front of my Manual Notch... It's a little difficult, though its like a filter. Only so many people are willing to drive without power steering...

68GT500KR_Vert, could you take some pictures of the Balljoint clearance?

Tomorrow I should have access to my buddies 18" Saleen wheels to mock up on my 68.

Wheels my buddies 18 x 9 Saleen wheels which from my online research have 5.94" BS and a 24mm offset, these barely clear the upper ball joint. The only modfications in geometry my car has is the 1'' Shelby drop, and the negative wedge chamber kit.

I put a few pieces of 3m painters tape on the ball joint and upper control arm to elevate and scratches in the event the wheel made contact. The inner wheel weights drag ever so slightly on the taped up ball joint and control arm.

If the rain lets up, I'll push the car outside and try and see how much clearance there actually is and take pictures.