180 degree t-stat in 4.6

• Sponsors (?)

What's wrong with 195*?

engine_trans_temps.gif

What's wrong with 195*?

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/engine_trans_temps.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

just so you know, that chart doesn't directly imply thermostat temps. it says oil temp, well oil temp doesnt exactly match coolant temp - that's why it's called coolant cuz it cools down the engine and oil. A 185 t-stat will open when temps of coolant are over 185 and require more coolant flow to keep it there or under that level. So a lower t-stat will help keep the engine that much cooler, but not keep the engine and the oil at the exactly t-stat rating. Most recommend a 185 for people who like to put some foot in it every once and awhile. I haven't had one, but am installing one with my build since it will run hotter and i'll proly push it harder.
This is my understanding

i know alot of people say that you need to calibrate your fan settings, and theyre probably right, but i sure didnt for the same reason you cant: no tuner :D i switched to 180 t-stat because I live in Arizona and every little cooling mod helps (plus my old t-stat crapped out). An easy and cheap alternative to changing your fan settings thru a tuner is wiring a flip-switch direct to the fan control, so you can switch it on and off at your will. This is good for my situation, since starting around late february until the beginning of november it gets HOT lol im talking about 50-60 degrees at 6am and peaking to the highest of 114, while in traffic :notnice: so if you live in a hot climate, or if youre pushing extra horses and power and temp is a variable you seek to control, then go for the 180, otherwise stock is fine :D just my 2 cents.

MY tuner put my fan on with the key on!!! Mine didn't shut off till you took the key out!!! Car ran cool as could be with no problems. It was also nice at the track. Between runs, just sit there with the key on ignition, and watch the temp gauge fall.

MY tuner put my fan on with the key on!!! Mine didn't shut off till you took the key out!!! Car ran cool as could be with no problems. It was also nice at the track. Between runs, just sit there with the key on ignition, and watch the temp gauge fall.

:eek: thats pretty sweet, was the fan activated by putting the key into the start position right before ignition? or the last position with just the radio on??