190wrhp with these mods????

I have just got my dyno numbers back for my 95 stang today and found they are very low! Even the tuner said tey should be higher with my set up,but not sure why they are not. It was pushing 190wrhp which is about 20 more hp then a stock 5.0 my set up is gt40 heads, trickflow street intake, tfs stage 1 cam, 75mm throttle body, 30lb injectors, 76mm mass air, full exhaust w/ long tubers and flowmasters, forged rods and pistons, 7qt oil pan, main girdle and windag tray, aluminum under drive pulleys, ac and egr eliminated. The car is also a 5 speed! Is there something not adding up in my set up? he said that the cam could be to small for the mods but would that be making me lose about 80wrhp? also there is a small vibration as listed in another form but the clutch gets fully engaged and there is no slipping. The tune is set right on the timing is right and the A/F is spot on and the car idles and drives strong without studder. someone please help me find the missing power!

• Sponsors (?)

I have just got my dyno numbers back for my 95 stang today and found they are very low! Even the tuner said tey should be higher with my set up,but not sure why they are not. It was pushing 190wrhp which is about 20 more hp then a stock 5.0 my set up is gt40 heads, trickflow street intake, tfs stage 1 cam, 75mm throttle body, 30lb injectors, 76mm mass air, full exhaust w/ long tubers and flowmasters, forged rods and pistons, 7qt oil pan, main girdle and windag tray, aluminum under drive pulleys, ac and egr eliminated. The car is also a 5 speed! Is there something not adding up in my set up? he said that the cam could be to small for the mods but would that be making me lose about 80wrhp? also there is a small vibration as listed in another form but the clutch gets fully engaged and there is no slipping. The tune is set right on the timing is right and the A/F is spot on and the car idles and drives strong without studder. someone please help me find the missing power!

thats very weird. i dont see why he would think that cam is too small, thats the same cam that they sell with the TFS street heat kit. are u sure his dyno is functioning correctly? are the gt40 heads stock or upgrades?

You gotta give us some more details :)

Dynojet or Mustang Dyno

STD or SAE calibration

Environmental conditions ... You know ... Stuff like

Was it real hot :shrug:
Do you live in Denver :shrug:
that kinda stuff

Grady

Something is wrong...that cam for being an OTS cam is a fairly good match for unported gt40 heads.

I would go over the timing make sure you HB is not spun. I would also do a compression check. Other things I can think of to check...

rocker adj./setup (big one)
vac. leaks
fuel psi set correctly/enough
how is this tuned?

I know what you mean I also ***** my pants when he gave me thoughs numbers he said it was low but I didn't think it was that! The GT40 heads are an upgrade and when I bought them they had stiffer springs and were O-ringed. The dyno is a "Mustang dyno" and He has been doing regular dyno runs on it for a while. The weather......well lets just says it Maine, sunny, rainy, cloudy.....but for the most part 70's. He has tested the intake for vac leaks with a smoke machine and covered any that were there. The fuel gauge on the regulator (BBK) says its pushing 47-50 but could be wrong, was dropped before install and is maybe 10psi short of what it says (didn't think of that) but would that loose 80ish hp? The engine is a fresh built 302 so about 50-60 dyno miles? and the car is tuned on the dyno with a diablo chip and he had the tune checked over with the company. But now you really got me thinking about that regulator gauge so it might only be pushing 40psi but still that low? And also the car runs smooth and the drive-ablilty is good also part and wide open. But just ask if you need more info I really wanna figure this one out.

It sounds silly but my neighbor had a similar issue with his car. At the engine dyno the car was only making 680 hp. After messing with the timing and such there was no more power. Finally the dyno guy was like "What f$%king oil is in there?". My neighbors builder told him to run 9 quarts of Valvoline VP1. The dyno guy put in Mobil 1 5w30 with only 8 quarts. Next pull was over 730 hp. The motor ran better and could handle more timing, final result was 753 flywheelhp. I know this is most likely not your problem but it could be something stupid, maybe as simple as oil or having too much, the car have a chip, heat range on plugs, weak spark, etc..
Our cars with a stock computer and cam don't react well.

Good luck.

Yes ... there is a problem ... I'm not saying that :nono:
but
Since you used a Mustang Dyno

I've seen them show around 15% lower results than Dynojet

From my research of many combos .....
I'd say you should pump out 260-300 SAE rwhp on a Dynojet

therefore

.85 X 260 = 221 for a low
.88 X 300 = 255 for a high

Of course ... this is just a ball park guess kinda thing

You are just gonna have to look everything over to find the prob

Are you sure your valves are adjusted correctly :)

Grady

You said you have a vibration. Check your balancer. 30lb injectors and 47-50 psi fuel pressure is waay too much fuel for your mods. Switch to 24lb injectors and a quality maf. Drop your fuel pressure to 39psi and go from there. Make sure all the basics are in order plugs,wires,cap,rotor,...

You said you have a vibration. Check your balancer. 30lb injectors and 47-50 psi fuel pressure is waay too much fuel for your mods. Switch to 24lb injectors and a quality maf. Drop your fuel pressure to 39psi and go from there. Make sure all the basics are in order plugs,wires,cap,rotor,...

agreed.

Kurt

Yes ... there is a problem ... I'm not saying that :nono:
but
Since you used a Mustang Dyno

I've seen them show around 15% lower results than Dynojet

From my research of many combos .....
I'd say you should pump out 260-300 SAE rwhp on a Dynojet

therefore

.85 X 260 = 221 for a low
.88 X 300 = 255 for a high

Of course ... this is just a ball park guess kinda thing

You are just gonna have to look everything over to find the prob

Are you sure your valves are adjusted correctly :)

Grady

I'd say 250rwhp would be more reasonable. In my opinion, all these possible problems that people have listed, such as too much fuel, and adjusted valves and such add up to nickels and dimes as far as hp goes. There is something seriously wrong with this car. He's looking for a big problem, not a bunch of little ones.

Kurt

First thing I wanna say to Daves94vert is ............

By using the quote ... I'm N O T calling you out or anything :)

I just wanted to have the info easy to see which I hope helps everybody
to see something I see as ... Well ... Kinda silly

The guy has a chip
yet
So much talk about this or that amount of fuel pressure

When you custome tune ..............
If the owner then goes and changes things mechanically .............

Well ... That is gonna work against the custom tune

Those 30's aren't gonna be a prob IF the tune was done right :)

Yes ... I agree with all the others :nice:
if
The afpr was cranked up

Then again ... Maybe I missed something above :shrug:

Was this guy tuning with a chip :scratch:
or
Was he just twisting the dizzy and jacking around with the afpr :scratch:

You say spark and fuel is ... spot on

Please define ... spot on :D

Grady

When I mean A/F is on its 14.7.....not all the time but the amounts are were they spose to be tuned with a chip, The gauge is off so The fuel pressure is about 40 and the guy said he set it to were it needed to be with his fuel gauge. I bought the balancer new about 5 monthes ago and had it balanced with the rotating assembly within 5 grams. But when the car idles it is kinda a lil ruff and you can feel a little vibration at the idle and when the car is reved a little. And there is a slight vib. when cruizin but I think that is the drive shaft maybe unbalanced? it is an auto shaft. This guy is the only dyno around these parts and I don't think he is the best.... But I will post the dyno sheet tonight, I also found out today that he only brought it up to 4000rpm ( because of vib.) when on the dyno so that would add a lil more power right? its spose to be 5500. but the power stops at 191whp and is a steady line acrost the sheet, with no slop in the charts. :bs: