1965-1995 mustang?

demon40

Jul 24, 2004
canton, nc
Ok ive got a 95 cobra that im parting out so ive decided to put the motor and 5 speed tranny out of it into my 65 coupe car. Har hard will this be to do. I plan on going carb so im not worried about the motor. So i gues my main question is how hard is it to do the 5 speed conversion. The car already has a 302 with a c4 auto. i know the clutch likage has to be changed, so im looking at a cable conversion. if anyone has any ideas as to where to look for the parts it would be greatly appreciated. And where are some good places to get sheet metal for the car it need a new quarter and a couple of other things.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

"how hard" depends on the person, the equipment available, and personal judgement.

As far as transmission swaps go, it doesn't get much easier. Although the 95 T5 is going to cause you problems. I believe you'll need to swap input shafts and bellhousings from a 93 or older T5.

There's a million T5 swap articles and posts out there. I suggest you do some searching and research.

Im pulling the motor and tranny from my 95 cobra so im not seeing why ill have to change the bell housing. should i not be able to just drop the motor and trans out of the cobra in the car move the cross member as needed and chage the clutch linkage to a cable conversion. and have a drive shaft made to fit.

im confused

Ok so im pulling the motor and trans out of my 95 cobra parts car. Can i not just drop them in, move the cross member as needed, change the clutch linkage to a cable conversion, and have the drive shaft made to fit.

Sorry posted that twice once under my brothers login

I think that would work, but your shifter location would be all wrong. It would be too far forward. You could probably modify the sheetmetal, but the shifter would end up too close to the dash. If anything you want to move the shifter away from the dash...not closer.

shifter

Unless I'm mistaken, the shifter will move away from the dash, not forward. The 94+ t-5 has a longer input shaft and bellhousing.

This condition leaves you with only two problems, clutch linkage (I'm told a hydraulic setup fixes this problem as the hole is lower on the 94+ bellhousing) and 1/3 to 1/2 an inch of grinding at the back of the shifter hole in order to clear the shifter assembly.

Some have used the post 93 t-5's and actually prefer the more rearward shifter location.

If it really pisses you off, the Ron Morris motor mounts will likely allow you to move the whole thing forward. Much easier to just get a little liberal with an angle grinder in my opinion...

Anyway, roohoo.

Don

Btw, the 94+ six cylinder t-5 has a 300 lb torque rating. Same as the v8's.

Thanks, couldn't remember if it was longer or shorter.

And yes, moving the shifter away from the dash is preferable. But most poeople don't want to modify the sheet metal and/or console if applicable.

I would think a cable clutch conversion kit would probably also work.