Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Technically I think you're supposed to see a doctor for anything lasting longer than 3 hours
Huh,....that would imply I need medication for certain dysfunctional things. (other than heartburn, arthritis, and disintegrated knees). Tell that to @jrichker , he thinks it's because I drink, and lead a lifestyle of drunken debauchery, :cheers:excessive consumption, :cheers:, and all around rowdiness into the wee hours of the night.:rock:

Yeah,......

Spend one night on the bathroom floor in 35 years, ( after being married for 30 of them) and now you got a drinking problem .........sheesh.:jester:

Reactions: 1 users
[QUOTE="madmike1157, it's because I drink, and lead a lifestyle of drunken debauchery, :cheers:excessive consumption, :cheers:, and all around rowdiness into the wee hours of the night.:rock:

Yeah,...............sheesh.:jester:[/QUOTE]

The First Step is Admitting you have a problem...........:puke:
lol

This'll be a first. Instead of you actually getting to see real progress,...you'll get to see an idea in my head. (imagine that,.....being able to actually see a thought process.........isn't technology amazing?)

But first, the mundane.

I ran out of the body filler that I had been using about a week ago. Last week, I went into my bodyshop supplier, and bought some more. Since money is tighter, I decided against the 50.00 dollar a gallon Rage Gold product, and bought the companies standard lite filler. 20.00 instead. Dude tells me it mixes the same (1" stripe on top of hardener on a 4 " circle of filler) and I go about my business. When I get home, I mix a small amount, and smear a coat on top of the G nostrils, and wait for it to dry.

And I wait.

And I wait.

And I wait.

After several hours, I come to terms with the fact that this stuff is never gonna harden at this rate. Clearly, I did not add enough hardener to the batch I mixed, and now I gotta remove this stuff. I then proceed to destroy 15 80 grit sanding discs. The stuff in its partially hardened state gums up sandpaper almost instantly. I replace piece after piece, cussing like a sailor as each one fails within 30 seconds of touching it to the work. After about 30 minutes, and the requisite 15 discs, I'm kinda close to where I was yesterday with the things.

I reapply some more filler, being more than liberal with the mix ratio. This time,..the stuff hardens, but I got no more patience to mess with it so I move elsewhere.

Several updates earlier. I showed my plan for the modified grille. Again, as a clear testimony to the "What was I thinking" way I going about doing things, I go about building a metal surround that fits the OEM trim. I build the thing so that the surround just butts up against the upper radiator shroud. The thinking there is that it will serve as a fairing or shroud to duct the fresh air from the grill opening directly to the radiator. It becomes immediately apparent to anybody reading, that that'll leave no room for the factory latch to secure the hood. I back the metal surround w/ some diamond pattern steel grill material I bought at the metal store I get my steel from.

I rummage around and find the still wrapped, fresh from the powder coater hood latch and bracketry that I paid 100 dollars to have coated. I think I paid 100 bucks to have this junk powder coated, and now I'm not gonna use it? WHAT WAS I THINKING?

So, I do like I do, and cut the grill back apart. I shorten it enough to be able to get the hood latch in place. But,.....the little dealy that the cable release hooks onto hangs proud of that, and I cannot shorten the grille surround enough to accommodate that. So,.......I cut that little dealy off, and flip it. Now it's an "innie" instead of an "outtie". It gets by, but the part of the bracket that secures the cable is a casualty. It simply wont fit. I gotta make something and weld it onto my powder coated hood latch.

It'll be "less than" powder coated when I finish. Either I'll have it redone later, or I wont, that'll be totally dependent on when and if I ever get a real job.

The newly shortened grill gets modified even more. After seeing some custom grille on some GMC pick up that had a trim bezel w/a perimeter of screws passing through it, I stole that idea so I could sandwich the existing grille mesh. This leaves me the opportunity to change out the heavy, looks like It might ought to be in the bottom of a charcoal grill, instead of in front of a Monster grille diamond pattern stuff I'm currently using as a place holder for the future honeycomb pattern stuff that I'll also get when discretionary money starts burning a hole in my pocket again.

So,...we're done with the actual mundane stuff. You don't need to see bondo on the G Nostrils, and you wont like the grille in it's raw state, so we'll move onto you getting to look into my head.

This:
341323E3-DAB0-4B42-895F-43511CEDC253_zpskpmgqb8z.jpg

I don't like this design very much.

Despite the fact that it is actually at a much farther stage of completion than this pic conveys, I'm using it as a template for the before, and after shots to illustrate my idea. The part that I don't like is the whoopty that had to be made to accommodate the license plate in the center. It looks like a Chevrolet Bowtie pattern, and it has always bugged me. I really would like it better if that center section was straight across. The obvious problem with that is the plate wont fit.

So,......why not move the plate to the bumper?

The plate measures like 6.5" The bumper top to bottom is 6.5" If I move the plate, I'm gonna recess it into the bumper, If I recess it into the bumper, there'll be nothing left of the top and bottom. If there wasn't a G hole directly under the center of the rear bumper, I could just drop the bottom of the bumper to allow for that,....but.....

See the dillema?

But here's what part of the idea looks like on paper.. well,.......computer monitor.

rear%20tail%20MODIFIED_zpsgwex04cr.jpg

The center gets a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate with fins similar to what I did with the original valve cover. Letters that'll either say CYCLONE, or MERCURY will make up the center, and I think this looks waaaaaaaayyyy better than the homage to a chevy bowtie that is there now.

But the plate.......

The plate has a 1/4" stamped border along the top and bottom that serve no purpose other than to maybe make it less flimsy? If I cut that border I can make that plate fit inside a recess in the bumper. People put damn license plate frames that completely cover this perimeter so I cant imagine I'd get dinked by the Man for modifying my plate. Once it's in that shadow box, maybe it'll be less noticeable?

It's past Idea stage,....the whoopties are filled in with plate now,...and they are just as raw as the grille, so again,....not gonna show you the actual.
Course,..I could be talking to myself here too....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I like the new version. How about a motorized hide a plate you could mount to the side of your rear bumper?

View: http://youtu.be/nv32Z8lg4F4

Why don't I just put machine guns in the bumper too while I'm at it?
;)
Naaww,.....the plate would have to be displayed all the time the car is on the road, so I really don't see hiding it for a show as a solution. I have been trying to balance out whether or not to side mount the thing though, but I still have B/U lights to consider too.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should completely fill in the space in between the tails. Let the tail light "boxes" be the only recessed portions of the rear. But thats just me, your alter Iowa ego.

Wait, I cant remember where your fuel cell filler door is? Stock location? Without searching back, something tells me you welded and smoothed the original gas door... Why not put that fuel filler in between the tails like on the Mustang/Cougar your tail lights came from?

I think you should completely fill in the space in between the tails. Let the tail light "boxes" be the only recessed portions of the rear. But thats just me, your alter Iowa ego.

Wait, I cant remember where your fuel cell filler door is? Stock location? Without searching back, something tells me you welded and smoothed the original gas door... Why not put that fuel filler in between the tails like on the Mustang/Cougar your tail lights came from?
The door is still the plan. relocating a filler neck isn't an option. There is a honkin trunk latch mechanism there. Besides, the last time I did that on the red car it took for freakin ever to fill the tank.

No. said the finger.:nono:

**Ahem,.....and those are Shelby tail lights......The nerve. :nonono:

image.jpeg Make the center part the back up lights. They could light up through the slits and Mercury/cyclone lettering :D

Dammit Raggedy.

Maybe if the car was done. Maybe if there wasn't 50 bagillion other piddly assed little things to do, I'd consider it. But for now.

Reactions: 1 users
The door is still the plan. relocating a filler neck isn't an option. There is a honkin trunk latch mechanism there. Besides, the last time I did that on the red car it took for freakin ever to fill the tank.

**Ahem,.....and those are Shelby tail lights......The nerve. :nonono:

Dammit Raggedy.

Maybe if the car was done. Maybe if there wasn't 50 bagillion other piddly assed little things to do, I'd consider it. But for now.

Lol @ the finger... :rlaugh:

Huh,....that would imply I need medication for certain dysfunctional things. (other than heartburn, arthritis, and disintegrated knees). Tell that to @jrichker , he thinks it's because I drink, and lead a lifestyle of drunken debauchery, :cheers:excessive consumption, :cheers:, and all around rowdiness into the wee hours of the night.:rock:

Yeah,......

Spend one night on the bathroom floor in 35 years, ( after being married for 30 of them) and now you got a drinking problem .........sheesh.:jester:
I have no clue what you do with your time except what you tell us here on Stangnet.
Just about the only people that I haven't met that I have opinions about are politicians. I try to give everyone else the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Chit man... You have no idea how many times I've thought about this.

I want this:

View: https://youtu.be/nKdiVEmRG1o

Mounted/molded into the right fender of my Suburban. :nice:

I'd like one other than airsoft. A friend of mine and i have discussed building a high psi hollow dart gun with laser sight to rapidly deflate tires on those 55 mph freeway lane hogs. It seems pretty easy except finding reasonably priced heavy duty servos. :nice:

One day I will suggest something you like. Haven't in over a year, but one day... Lol
It's not that I don't like it,...I just don't have any more room on my plate. It's already covered with peas and carrots, and I hate peas and carrots.

Chit man... You have no idea how many times I've thought about this.

I want this:

View: https://youtu.be/nKdiVEmRG1o

Mounted/molded into the right fender of my Suburban. :nice:

I'd like one other than airsoft. A friend of mine and i have discussed building a high psi hollow dart gun with laser sight to rapidly deflate tires on those 55 mph freeway lane hogs. It seems pretty easy except finding reasonably priced heavy duty servos. :nice:
You two guys,.:nonono:....the "machine gun in the bumper thing", I was kidding. Now the two of you may go out and see what kind of interstate road rage you can dream up by either filling the car next to you with mini gun based door dings, or provide the stunt footage of 35 MPH roll overs for a future episode of cHips Reloaded when the maelstrom of darts kill a tire.
But me,....ill just keep using what I always do to eliminate other stupid drivers....
Two index fingers on the top of my steering wheel brought together at their tips to make a notch that serves as my sighting mechanism for my primary Death Star weapon.
Then I bring it online, charge the weapon, and fire it at the unsuspecting fool stupid enough to cause me to use it. Needless to say, there's nothing left of him afterwards.

I have no clue what you do with your time except what you tell us here on Stangnet.
Just about the only people that I haven't met that I have opinions about are politicians. I try to give everyone else the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Ok,....I'm still trying to remember where I've led you to believe that I need a lifestyle change from what I've said other than the once in 30 year episode where I drank too much on New Year's Eve?
Otherwise, I agree. Had I had a different " lifestyle", and not spent countless hours crawling around on knees that need replacing, hands that have already went through two procedures each holding rapidly spinning, vibrating power tools , maybe I'd last longer now days.
But then, I wouldn't be here talking about the stuff I've done with those tools then I guess, so.........

I really like this idea. I know what the finger said, but don't completely "File: 13" the idea. :hide:

No, it's definitely a good idea, and it would kill two birds ( I'd fill the center with the detail piece that also serves as the backup light), but the plate would have to be laser cut. No idea how much something that costs.

Reactions: 3 users
@madmike1157
The lifestyle change was a reference to a good diet and regular exercise, which we all need especially as we get past the age of 50. What ever else you may do was not referenced by the term lifestyle change. when I used it that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.