1990 GT Manual Transmission Upgrade suggestions

vicc

Feb 5, 2008
Hey...

I've got a 1990 GT 5.0 manual transmission.. all stock except the air filter, struts an shocks.
I'm currently rebuilding the transmission and engine, but the cost of rebuilding the transmission is close to the cost of a new T5. Now i'm thinking of installing a new transmission and was wondering whether to get a new T5 or go for a TKO 500/3550. If anyones got suggestions or expereince in upgrading the transmission... or could reccommend other transmissions?, i would appreciate your feedback.

I don't have plans to upgrade the engine currently... however... will do so in due course.

Additionally, if i upgrade it to a TKO500/3550, do i need to change anything besides the bell housing.. and how would this upgrade effect the driving experience.. considering i still have a stock 5.0 engine.

thank you..

vic

• Sponsors (?)

i have heard that the tremec transmissions are like driving a dump truck, very harsh shifting. if it was me, which this is what im gonna do, is buy the g-force rebuild kit for the t-5. get the 2.95 first gear ratio. this will be more than enough for what you have

I have a Tremec 3550 and it has been very good. It is smooth shifting and not noisy. I would definitely consider it as a best buy for future improvements.

A lot of people will tell you to buy a G Force or some other super T5 variant. Two things seem to pop up:
1.) They don't actaully own one, they just heard about it.
2.) If they do own one, they haven't driven it over 100K miles and it still works good.

I do have a Tremec 3550 and I have driven it over 100K miles and it still works good after countless full throttle, never lift to shift miles.

The only thing needed besides a new bellhousing is some modifications to the rear crossmember. You grind off the welds so that the crossmember will slide aft on the tubes that bolt to the chassis. Then once you have the transmission in place, you have the tubes and crossmember tack welded again.

I have a Tremec 3550 and it has been very good. It is smooth shifting and not noisy. I would definitely consider it as a best buy for future improvements.

A lot of people will tell you to buy a G Force or some other super T5 variant. Two things seem to pop up:
1.) They don't actaully own one, they just heard about it.
2.) If they do own one, they haven't driven it over 100K miles and it still works good.

I do have a Tremec 3550 and I have driven it over 100K miles and it still works good after countless full throttle, never lift to shift miles.

The only thing needed besides a new bellhousing is some modifications to the rear crossmember. You grind off the welds so that the crossmember will slide aft on the tubes that bolt to the chassis. Then once you have the transmission in place, you have the tubes and crossmember tack welded again.

i see you dont mention that you used the g force kit either so how would you know how well it performs versus a tremec??

i see you dont mention that you used the g force kit either so how would you know how well it performs versus a tremec??

Do you own a G force transmission?
Have you beat it up for 100K miles of street driving, power shifting when you got the itch to do so?

If you have, I would like to hear about your 100k mile experiences.
if you don't, then it is just your opinion. Opinions are like noses: everybody has one.

I have no opinions about G force or any other super T5, except that it is smoke and mirrors until someone steps up to the plate with a true story about their 100k mile experience. Maybe you will be the first, and I will remember your comments and tell people to PM or email you when the topic of G force comes up.

Do you own a G force transmission?
Have you beat it up for 100K miles of street driving, power shifting when you got the itch to do so?

If you have, I would like to hear about your 100k mile experiences.
if you don't, then it is just your opinion. Opinions are like noses: everybody has one.

I have no opinions about G force or any other super T5, except that it is smoke and mirrors until someone steps up to the plate with a true story about their 100k mile experience. Maybe you will be the first, and I will remember your comments and tell people to PM or email you when the topic of G force comes up.

no i dont personally have a g force transmission, but i have heard many good things about them. i was just pointing out that you are biased to the tremec b/c that is what you have. and yes it is all in opinion so you can stop gettin defensive. people act like babies, i swear

I'm not a particular fan to the 3550 series of transmissions. I don't like their weight and I don't like how the shift feel is to them.

Given the options, i would prefer a G-force t-5 over a 3550 IMHO. That way you can keep the lightweight and compact t-5 case, it's reknown shifting ability and still have a decently strong trans.

Don't all those places request a core exchange? And will charge you if your chit is all focked up, then shipping costs, ect :shrug:

Sounds like it would be just as cost effective to buy a tremec :shrug:

thx guys..

my t5 is wrecked.. and to rebuild with syncs and gears.. would cost me.. if not as much.. as close to getting a new one...

Now..the question is whether i should go for a T5 with a Gforce or.. a TKO500 or TKO600....

would anybody be able to point out the pros and cons to the above options..?

thxx again...