Build Thread 1990 Lx 5.0 Restomod Build

So I painted the outside rim surround of the door locks yesterday, that was pretty cool. :(

I wanted the black locks to go with the black trim around the window, black door handles, black molding, etc. but mine seemed to be in perfect working order so I couldn't justify spending $60 on a new set. I may throw a light clear coat on them tomorrow; they're going to take a lot of abuse with the key constantly scratching against them.

0_0_ae9c1a5acc2e1d8abfe5c3b0a47d86d2_1

• Sponsors (?)

Talked to my paint guy this afternoon. He finished it earlier this week but spent the end of the week wetsanding and touching up a few spots. He's painting the trim yesterday and today and then supposedly it will be ready for pick up tomorrow evening.

Ordered a bunch of parts last Friday for the "put-back-together" process.

Talked to my paint guy this afternoon. He finished it earlier this week but spent the end of the week wetsanding and touching up a few spots. He's painting the trim yesterday and today and then supposedly it will be ready for pick up tomorrow evening.

Ordered a bunch of parts last Friday for the "put-back-together" process.

I'd be giddy all day long! Congrats.

I just started the tear down process this weekend. I hope mine moves along quickly.

Mike - I do have power locks.

Well I got the car back from paint Monday evening. Drove it home in the dark and started working on putting everything back together yesterday morning. They swapped out the front and rear bumpers as well as the right front fender. Everything is straight, no dents, etc. I ordered a bunch of stuff from NPD which also showed up Monday afternoon (fast shipping)!

The car is dirty as hell and very dusty on the inside. Enough babble, on to the pictures.

0_0_6e738ed8868eb2f73b1b0f3c9b4ea0b5_1

0_0_a6a129308cf8c6198586633dc6c9522b_1

0_0_5e938e39f6447d1a48c631f93499e65d_1

Fear not! New headlights are in the box of stuff I ordered...
0_0_eadc4581db532db17bc17f6a60e4e0c7_1

Box 'o parts
0_0_54660ee2920088e43d7345d195c57103_1

I used 1/4" x 15' roll of 3M Windo-Weld (aka window ribbon for $10.99 @ Amazon.com) to install the windows. I applied the ribbon to the car and then fit the windows in place, then installed the nuts from the inside of the car. It's hard to tell how tight to tighten those nuts as I don't want to crack the window mold or the glass.

0_0_32f44869ae7e9285c8eef06eb2ae772f_1

0_0_d3b33f936bd588ba64ec1cf997ad48fc_1

I was trying to show how smooth of a surface I got when I re-finished my windows.
View attachment 183136

Today I've been working on getting the doors back together. I got new metal door handles from NPD but the spring on the driver's one keep f***ing up on me so I'm trying to engineer a work-around for it. Passenger door was just finished before lunch.

All new drip molding trim, outer door belt molding trim, and new door handles (when they work).

0_0_44f51fc3b7c19a662df1878c431b060e_1

0_0_c7f4a7dece70d43ceecf8f4fa7303f47_1

0_0_af5273d28dc21851feda14154c7957ea_1

0_0_74d977051025ba00fe961631fe36c378_1

0_0_dec67a38784f1649c7153110423c96ee_1

This afternoon I'm going to try and finish up the driver's door as well as start working on putting the trunk lock back in. Then I'll start on putting the interior trunk panels back in. Lastly will probably be the wipers, fender liners and headlights followed by a thorough bath.

Is your door panel put back on im looking for a pic of where the actuator hooks up to the latch if the panel is back on dont worry about it i was just trying to catch someone while they are doin this to see if they could tell me i thought i had power locks but i guess i dont but im getting all the provision for them the wiring is already there but i just need the actuators and the circuit breaker for the wiring which is the black with white stripe correct?

Is your door panel put back on im looking for a pic of where the actuator hooks up to the latch if the panel is back on dont worry about it i was just trying to catch someone while they are doin this to see if they could tell me i thought i had power locks but i guess i dont but im getting all the provision for them the wiring is already there but i just need the actuators and the circuit breaker for the wiring which is the black with white stripe correct?

My driver's panel is still off. I'll snap a few pics in the morning and see if they help you out.

Alright, everything is almost back together. A really good friend of mine e-mailed me last night and said he knew that I'd have the car back together by the weekend; he was right. I don't like to wait.

Couple more pics of the interior panels going back in. I didn't take a lot of pictures of re-installing the interior since I've already covered all that earlier in the thread.

0_0_089b27fb3375a1900051a78fa9f67d90_1

0_0_8a696ab00fb85dd24a02304fc625b7a1_1

I also found a couple of these small plugs for the sides of the console when I was at the junkyard a couple weeks ago. Details, details...they matter.

0_0_6685814630969cdb8ce0299dab6a2eb8_1

I got driver's door finished up yesterday as well as the new headlights installed.

Side by side shot of the old -vs- new headlights. I didn't believe it but these really do make a HUGE difference in the look of the car. OEM replacements from National Parts Depot.

0_0_8b9defaa6ec02cb77f89f12964278aa5_1

With parking lights on

0_0_c50a59c8dfea1c35e90ebaf46921e848_1

I don't have any headlights yet. The PO had some of those "cool blue" lights in there so I need to pick up a pair of regular lights. I also didn't have the bulb retaining ring so I ordered those from LMR yesterday and they'll be here tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get the car cleaned up today both inside and out. I'm hoping it makes the wheels look better, but I think they look like a$$ now that the car has been painted; they seem too dark to me. Unfortunately I've still got the 4-lug setup and I just bought new tires earlier this summer so my options are limited and so are funds after this recent re-spray. Not sure what to do next. I may see if I can find someone around here willing to trade...I've even considered seeing if I can find a set of 10-holes. :eek:

I'm sure the painter baked your car after painting it but I'd hold off washing your car for a while unless your painter said you could wash it already. Looks good man!! You should check out Latemodelrestoration for 4 lug wheels when it comes time but on a budget i'd invest in sanding and repainting those wheels yourself. You seem handy enough to do it and it would probabaly cost $20 or so to do it all.

Well boostfrk it seems i did have power locks at one point in time but someone ripped them out the only thing left of them is the actuator rod i thought it was a weird screw until i looked at the new actuator and how it can unscrew to be adjusted so now i have to figure out how to get that darn thing out

I'm sure the painter baked your car after painting it but I'd hold off washing your car for a while unless your painter said you could wash it already. Looks good man!! You should check out Latemodelrestoration for 4 lug wheels when it comes time but on a budget i'd invest in sanding and repainting those wheels yourself. You seem handy enough to do it and it would probabaly cost $20 or so to do it all.

Too late. No one said anything but I gave it a really light bath yesterday. By the time I washed it the car had been painted for about 10-12 days; hopefully that's long enough not to cause me any ill will.

I've already sanded and repainted them once. I used the Duplicolor silver wheel coating/paint and the same model clear coat. They just look too dark to me. If I could get them painted in a brighter silver I think I'd be happier with the way they look.

Reactions: 1 user