1994 GT Electrical Problem?

Mar 20, 2009
1994 Mustang GT, 100% stock.

Stopped one day at the gas station for gas. When I opened the door to get out of the car I heard the door chime go off. However my keys werent in the ignition and the headlights werent on. I thought it odd, but ignored it. Filled her up and went to get back in. Same thing when I opened the car door. The chime went off. Got back in the car and it wont start. It wont turn over. Luckily a buddy was at the gas station at the same time and helped me push it off to the side.

I went up the same night to see if she would start. I also noticed that when I open the car door the hazards come on. But i dont believe they're the actual hazards, it blinks slower.

Had someone hook up a computer reader to see if it was throwing any codes. Nothing.

I'm stumped! Worst part is i need to get my other car inspected and I need something to drive in the meantime.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually sir, this is a repost, i posted once about this with no solution.

And If i remember correctly YOU asked me that question before. I don't think I explored that option enough. The answer is no. I dont THINK there is one. I've never armed one and I'm not aware of any passive alarm. How would I tell if one is installed?

Why didn't you bump your old thread instead of starting a new one?

Just because there was no fob included with your car doesn't mean there's no alarm. Set the thing off and start hunting for a clicking relay (it will click in cadence with the lights flashing).

I actually forgot I made the post here. I thought it was on the "other" site. :eek:

I do hear a clicking as the lights flash when I open the door. This may sound dumb, but how do i set off the alarm? I'm thinking that having this car this long and assuming I never had one that I would have set it off inadvertantly at some point.

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

If you can be inside the car and make the lights start flashing (etc), see if you can aurally trace the clicking. The flashing parking lights and the car not starting are likely the effects of an alarm.

Otherwise, perhaps trying to start the car would set the alarm off (so you can try to find some components).

blackbox.jpg

So this is what was clicking in unison with the door chime. I disconnected the wiring harness and it now starts. What is this thing? Theres no labels or markings on it at all to indicate what it is.

Should I just stuff it back up under the dash? Theres still 6 wires connected to it that I cannot disconnect.

Thanks!

You found an alarm. Nice.

Yep, I'd just toss it back up there for now. Give it some miles to be sure everything functions properly as it is before considering removing the harness.

The latter. I'd leave the wiring in there just to make sure things are ok. Once you know that, you can pull it out if you like. It'd be nice to keep variables at a minimum. If you tear that harness out now and the car acts up, you don't know if it was related to the wiring-harness dissection or the black box being gone.