1997 Cobra or 1997 Mustang GT

Arnolds97 said:
You will be paying higher insurance rates payments forever. This is why the ricer imports are so big now.

Roush21 said it cost like 3800.00 a year insurance instead of 900.00? And Good luck trying to get it on your old mans insurance. Most insurance Co.'s won't do this especially for a Cobra! I am 47 a Dad and no way my kid gets this car put on my insurance.

Save the 2900.00 (3800.00 - 900.00) and -
Get a Procharger or Turbocharger for like 2500.00 and swap in an 8.8 rear, some 4.10's, a HI-PO Clutch and you probably could hang with the 97 Cobra. Then the next year of saving 2900.00 get yourself some ground F/X and a Huge Wing. NO! NO! Just kidding! However Some 18's and the Saleen stuff looks good on a Stang or do a full fledge suspension upgrade and you will have one great car. I guarantee you will be able to smoke most any ricer you come up against.

Why give the insurance company your Mod Money?

Dude Im only paying $900 the insurance is in my dad's name. Lynx already said he could pull off the same thing...DEFINETLY get the cobra man...dont mess around. All that stuff arnold is talking about doing to a gt do it to the cobra it'll be twice as better! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Rick James said:
My 98 GT gets about 17 mpg combined city/hwy, if I am easy on the throttle. I assume you can expect something around that area.

5 fingers to the face, then slap! sorry love the name rick. damn my 97 cougar has the 4.6 and gets 24-25 miles to the gallon combined. what mods are u running?

I'm 17 and have a 98 GT. Its got some mods done to it, but its no where near as fast as my moms ex's 97 Cobra Conv. The 4.6 4v has so much power. Has low end as well as amazing top end. The thing will rev to 6800 (or atleast he revved his that high). its an amazing car. I would trade my gt for a cobra anyday. If you like working on cars though, getting the 4v head swap might be kind of fun for you to do, if you got a gt. I dont know what really all is involved in doing that kind of a swap, but it would give you alot of experience and your insurance woudlnt' be as high as if you bought the actual cobra. I'm gonna try and make my gt a cobra

Turbo92PGT said:
If you like working on cars though, getting the 4v head swap might be kind of fun for you to do, if you got a gt. I dont know what really all is involved in doing that kind of a swap, but it would give you alot of experience and your insurance woudlnt' be as high as if you bought the actual cobra. I'm gonna try and make my gt a cobra

that swap is a total pita. over at tccoa.com some of the guys have done it as well as the navigator swap. you need the engine, the ecu, wiring harness, custom k memeber i htink, etc. pretty much a fab as you go project. it can be dine but it takes laot of work. he could probably do it for 4K depending on how good mechanically is. but rather than than that just get a vortech/procharger or a forged 5.1L block. add PI heads and intake, he's set to go. :nice:

I don't know. My grandfather owned a Ford dealership and when I was 17 back in '93 I got a brand new LX 5.0 and 3,000 miles later I was being pulled out of a ditch with a broken back. I guess it all depends on how responsible you are. It is cool your dad would let you get a car like that. Good luck.

5 fingers to the face, then slap! sorry love the name rick. damn my 97 cougar has the 4.6 and gets 24-25 miles to the gallon combined. what mods are u running?

All stock except for K&N and silencer remover. I just ordered my exhaust and I have been looking into the PI headswap as my next project.

I must be the only one that would go with a GT. In fact i have a 97GT convertible automatic. O it runs 14.31 can a stock cobra run that nooooooooo! Now before someone say i did some things to the car i will say yes! I want you to look at it this way 15,000 will get you a nice cobra that will get you beat by a 99GT with little mod. OK! 10,000 will get you a nice 96-98GT that will get you beat by cobra-N-99GT,but that 5,000 you have will have them saying how did you beat me! thats what they say to ME!

outlaww77 said:
I must be the only one that would go with a GT. In fact i have a 97GT convertible automatic. O it runs 14.31 can a stock cobra run that nooooooooo! Now before someone say i did some things to the car i will say yes! I want you to look at it this way 15,000 will get you a nice cobra that will get you beat by a 99GT with little mod. OK! 10,000 will get you a nice 96-98GT that will get you beat by cobra-N-99GT,but that 5,000 you have will have them saying how did you beat me! thats what they say to ME!

Dude are you on crack? A stock 96-98 cobra will whoop your converts butt. 14.31? Yuck man I wouldnt even post that as a fast time....stock cobras run like 13.9-14 w/ stock EVERYTHING....someone please back me up on this

outlaww77 said:

Stock 96-98s run mid to high 13s. Low 14s with a crappy driver. A 'vert auto '97? Nice car in the sun, good for traffic, but not great for racing, especially against (yes, a stock!!!) 96-98 Cobra.

outlaww77 said:

:notnice: Tell them to learn how to drive. Equal drivers, a bone stock 96 Cobra vert will hand you your ass without trying.

outlaww77 said:

Nice post, jerkweed. I actually lost intelligence reading this crap.

alright simmer down. go with a cobra if you can afford it. the 4V is a better platform to start with. but if you dont have the money, get a 96-98 gt. then go through greenleaf and get a 99+ gt motor. i am going to do this, and it will cost you 1500$, give or take. then it is a direct swap. from there go with a vortec, procharger, or nitrous and on a budget you will have a hell of a car. :nice:

Hey, I'm 18 and I just got my 98 GT, I think you should go looking for a nice GT. Insurance and the lack of experience driving a car like that might kill you. There is always a time and a place and right now its probably time for a GT. Although I also would like a Cobra, I know its not probably the right time. You can do stuff to the gt to get you going quicker.

The cobra will be nothing like driving a 305, the 305 is barely faster then the new v6'es dunno if its same for your v6

i am 17 and i have a very fast stang to and my vote would be for the cobra

with an old stang i dont have to worry about the high insurance though :) 16 dollars a month :) cause its second car in dads name