1st Mustang got ?'s

Hey, I'm new to the boards here. But I just got a 2000 V6 Stang. I love the car, and I have loved mustangs forever. I just was wondering what would be some of the best parts to give me a boost in performence? I am use to doing custom work, and frankly am a little tired of it, that's why I got a car that actually has an aftermarket. Also I was browseing through 3.8mustang.com and I found a turbo kit for the V6, I was wondering if anyone here has that kit, and how it is? I had a few ideas about how to screw this car up, but most of them involve and engine swap, I wanna try to keep the 3.8 sience I have some exsperience with it, but I was wondering if the Tremec T-56 6 speed would bolt up to the V6, or would there need to be some fabrication needed?
Thanks for all the help, and I'm really glad to be here!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the mustang world. A good starting point for performance mods is a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a traction lok unit for the answer to our one-wheel peel problems. To have your speedo fixed you will need a chip (SCT chips are great). Also, having a set of duals installed is also very common practice. Alot of people here (myself for one) just have a shop custom weld something in place. Others have y pipe kits bolted in. I'd avoid the y pipe if you ever plan on getting heavy into mods. An ASP underdrive crank pulley, while expensive, is good for as much as 10rwhp/tq across the board (not just peak) and is a really worthwhile mod. And then there is your standard cai kits which some will say save your money, some will say go for it. If you get one of the chrome kits (ebay, UPR, BBK, MAC) its as much of a looks mod as it is a perf mod. If you have a stick, a steeda tri-ax is a great mod to get those nice short throws.

weezil17 said:
but I was wondering if the Tremec T-56 6 speed would bolt up to the V6, or would there need to be some fabrication needed?

No, it won't bolt up. The V6 doesn't make enough power stock to make the gear ratios usable. Even stock GT's don't have enough power.

97v6Silver said:
yeah you throw it in 6th and floor it and it'll be like your putting on the brakes

Haha not quite.

The 6-spd trans isn't like taking a 5 spd and adding another gear. 6th gear is pretty much equal to 5th gear in the 5-spds. (I'm talking T-56 vs T-3650 in GT/Mach 1). Also in the 6-spd, 4th gear is 1:1 while 4th in the T-3650 is 1:1. That means 5th gear in the T-56 is sort of an inbetween gear.

It's like having a 4.5th gear. :D 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4.5th, and then 5th.

97v6Silver said:
but 5th gear would still be over 1:1

Yeah it's something like 0.8X:1 6th gear is 0.63:1 i beleive.

it's like having an inbetween gear between 4 and 5 on a 5-spd. Having driven a Cobra, i'd say it's like having two Overdrives, but you can actually use 1 to accelerate slightly and manuver around traffic and such. You still need the HP to accomplish this though