1st Winter Storage

Sometimes it's a curse because I overthink things.

Wouldn't put a 75g aquarium in my 3rd floor condo until I did a floor load calculation. Took me 3 weeks to research the stud size and construction.

HAhahahahah I feel your pain. I'm building a coffee cup Stirling engine just for fun, and I've had a moral dilemma buying materials for it because Lowe's doesn't specify the alloy and yield strength of their aluminum angle stock. You know, for an engine that will bear no load and probably wont spin over 2000 RPM. :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

What?? 750 lbs over 3 sf = 250 psf. I'll bet you never gave a thought to the 10 guy and gals chatting on your balcony. I would be more concerned if it was a waterbed but even then the psf static load isn't that great. But what do I know, I'm only an MSBA guy.

What?? 750 lbs over 3 sf = 250 psf. I'll bet you never gave a thought to the 10 guy and gals chatting on your balcony. I would be more concerned if it was a waterbed but even then the psf static load isn't that great. But what do I know, I'm only an MSBA guy.

Yeah I know...silly, but that's just how I think.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

HAhahahahah I feel your pain. I'm building a coffee cup Stirling engine just for fun, and I've had a moral dilemma buying materials for it because Lowe's doesn't specify the alloy and yield strength of their aluminum angle stock. You know, for an engine that will bear no load and probably wont spin over 2000 RPM. :nonono:

McMaster-Carr

/thread

I'm the same way. Lowes metals prob come from China anyway. I could tell you some stories about some of our Chinese suppliers forging steel Certs and inspection reports.

@GroverDill do you ever have any intentions of taking your car to the track?

McMaster-Carr

/thread

I'm the same way. Lowes metals prob come from China anyway. I could tell you some stories about some of our Chinese suppliers forging steel Certs and inspection reports.

Yea, I love that website, but it's hard to buy small stuff in small quantities. I ended up finding a local hobby shop that carried a variety of decent quality small tubes/rods/plates that at least listed the alloy.

Don't start it up once a week unless you can get it fully warmed up by prolonged driving. The quick starts can cause more harm than good.

Trickle charge, park it with a fresh oil change, full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer in it, and overinflate the tires. That's usually the extent of my winter storage.

Mikey, you're a man after my own heart. I do exactly the same storage techniques. Starting a dry engine once a month, listen to that, starting a dry engine once a month, will do more damage to the engine bearings than just leaving it sit til spring. In the spring, I remove the dizzy and spin the oil pump with a drill. I made my own tool for this. I get about 60 psi, then button everything up, reset timing and I'm a happy camper.