2" or 2 5/8" guages. Which one? Picts please.

joelliott

May 17, 2004
Gainesville, FL
I hve been lookin around for new gauges. Im going Autometer Phantom series mechanical. Startin off with water temp and oil pressure.

Should I get 2 1/16" or the bigger 2 5/8" gauges? I have the smaller now in my stang but wondering if I should get the larger ones.

Does anyone have picts comparing the 2? Or picts of 2 5/8" gauges?
Thanks
Joe E.

• Sponsors (?)

Joe, it will probably come down to how and in what you are mounting the guages. I kinda prefer the smaller gauges, and many pods, etc accept the smaller ones. But I would mate the size of the guages to the pod, etc being used.

Good luck.

Well I gotta dual pillar pod for 2" gauges now. But both gaues are electric digial ones. So no sweep needle or bulk of numbers on it. I was thinkn itd be easier to glance over and see the larger 2 5/8" gauges since the info isnt spoon fed to ya like my digital gauges are. I plan to put the gages in the pillar pod I have now (2in) or buy a new dual pillar pod for 2 5/8 gauges in the same location. Thanks
Joe E.

I personally like big guages but it all comes down to packaging. If you have the room and dont mind big guages guady guages, go with the 2 5/8. If you are trying keep them more low key and stick them where space is an issue, stick with the smaller ones. In my 86, I dont want guages on the pillar or dash so I fabbed up a little plate that mounts in place of the radio an holds 3 2 1/16" ultralights. In my 92, I could care less about them being out in the open as long as I can see them at a glance so I have the big ones in a pillar pod. I figure if you are putting them in a pillar pod, you probably dont care about them being seen and the big ones fit just as well up there as the small one in my opinion.

I was debating this same issue. The 2 5/8" gauges appear to be a little more at summit, but that wasn't my main thing. I'm putting mine in my a/c vent w/ a gauge cage, and I wanted them as big as possible so I can accurately read the results...that's the reason I'm spending all the money in the first place :D

I really doubt 9/16 of an inch is really gonna make them that more noticable to others outside the car. If someone would see a 2 5/8 gauge, I'd say they'd also see a 2 1/16 gauge.

Just curious...are those digital gauges fairly accurate? I was thinking about those just because of the "spoon feeding" that you speak of :D

thanks for the replies yall. I am not worried about the larger gauges on the pillar. I just wanna be able to easily see the info they have. My father, who also drives the car from time to time, has not the best eyes and I want him to have an easy time viewing the gauges.

MrKwik, do you have a pict of the pillar pod and the 2 5/8"? Id love to check it out just to see how big they are. Please send a pict to [email protected] if you could. Thanks

TheUser, I had these gauges for about a year now. Water temp and volt meter. I love the ease of info. But my car has electrical issues. There are bad grounds or bare wires or something. So the water temp gauge fluctuates all the time. When I turn my headlights on, the gauge jumps 10*, honk the horn, jumps 5*, etc. So I cant trust it. Hince Im going mech. water temp and oil pressure. However if your car has a sound electrical system, I think they would work nicely.

Thanks again guys.
Joe E.

joelliott said:
MrKwik, do you have a pict of the pillar pod and the 2 5/8"? Id love to check it out just to see how big they are. Please send a pict to [email protected] if you could. Thanks

Joe E.
Too lazy to email it but here is a pic
DSCN0274.JPG

Thank you all. Im pretty much decided on the larger gauges. I just feel I will be able to see them more clearly with out having to focus my attention totally on them. Thanks again guys. And nice cars to the both of you...
Joe E.

I'll put up a pic tomorrow once i have batteries in my camera. I just installed 2 5/8's gauges in my vents and i have 2 1/6's on the pillar. That should give you a different idea of the size. I wanted 2 1/6's for the vents but the gauge cage only comes in 2 5/8's. That being said, i'm glad i went bigger because they are easier to see at a glance since they are farther away. I dont think i would want big ones on the pillar, they are close enough as it is.