2 quick/minor issues

Black95GTS

Jan 8, 2004
Marlborough, MA
After some hard driving, the center channel where the ash tray is in my car will get pretty damn hot. Does this happen to anyone else, and is it something I should be concerned about? This does not affect performance that I can tell.

When its raining out, my car experiences a surging idle. I have a FMS TB in there and used the screw to set the idle at 800ish. It idles rock steady in normal and even very humid weather, it only experiences this in the rain. Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

adam

• Sponsors (?)

Concerning the ashtray thing...

It does sound like a freak thing that probably shouldn't be of concern if the following things are checked: 1) The trans is full of fluid. Not enough fluid = excessive heat. Enough to make the ashtray hot, probably not, but still it's worth a check. 2) Make sure your H-pipe is melting the **** out of the underside of your car.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with the TB issue. How bad is the surging?

Joe

Agreed. The hot thing is too subjective, but it can be normal to get some decent heat through the tunnel.

The surging might the the result of either a dirty connection - a connector is not sealed tight so when it is moist out, there is surface resistance in there (not enough to even see - think of a film or crud) to mess with a sensor or batch of sensors. This was an issue on fox 10 pins and resulted in surging for some folks (the connectors did not fit together very well in some instances. And those connectors were right at the TB - not where one would think moisture would affect much).

And make sure all grounds are clean. Grounds are very succeptible to resistance issues when it is wet out.

My two cents. Good luck.

Thanks guys... I'm definately not low on fluid, that was one of the first things I checked but I just wanted to hear an unbiased opinion before i told you what I did.

This probably has happened before but I just noticed it because I actually broke down and used the AC the other day and the heat was especially noticeable. I rarely, if ever, use the AC.

I'll try to clean all of the connectors tomorrow with alcohol and do the rain dance to see if thats the problem.

thanks for the advice,

- adam