2000 GT automatic shifting

I have noticed that when I run my 2000 GT automatic, the car shifts much more firmly if I shift it manually. It will chirp the tires if I run it up to about 5500 and manually shift it 1-2. If I run it in drive, it just shifts without any drama.

So... does this car have a "sport" mode that becomes operational when you manually shift it? If so, I havent read anything about that.

I havent done any mods yet, it has a cat back Flowmaster system on it, I plan some mods in the spring. I will be looking for a transmission cooler, a JLT cai system, and a set of gears. Thats all in the future...

• Sponsors (?)

I have an auto, and I don't know of any kind of different mode when you shift it manually.

That being said, before I did the J-mod, my car shifted more firmly leaving it in drive than shifting it manually. I got my best track times leaving it in drive also.

However, after I did the J-mod, I found the opposite to be true. While it shifts nice and firm in drive, it shifts WAY harder shifting it manually. I have no idea why. With it cooler outside right now (~45 degrees), and on the street tires, if I shift it manually, it'll break loose on the 1-2 shift and peg the needle at the top of 2nd gear (~85 mph), versus just getting a nice bark leaving it in drive. I also got better track times shifting it manually (upwards of 1 whole tenth), but only if I got it right on (I have to go to 2nd at 5500 rpm to make it shift at 6000 rpm, and making 325 rwhp, the needle goes across 5500 pretty dang quick, and I sometimes go to early).

Being that your year model's auto transmission is already close to J-mod specifications, I would suspect it would shift similar to the way mine does.

My car chirped 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 when I used to floor it in D before the gears.....but I also shift it manually too. Its almost habitual.

gears

My car chirped 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 when I used to floor it in D before the gears.....but I also shift it manually too. Its almost habitual.

Do you find it harder to chirp the tires after the gear change? Just wondered, thats part of the fun factor. I love hearing that second gear tire squeal.

How do you like your gears? Im looking to change mine out, but havent decided on 3.90 or 4.10 ratio yet. Are you content with the 4.10 or would you recommend the 3.90 set instead? My car is not a daily driver, its really more of a cruiser. Its not uncommon for me to take it out for the day and rack up 200 miles or more.

Do you find it harder to chirp the tires after the gear change? Just wondered, thats part of the fun factor. I love hearing that second gear tire squeal.

How do you like your gears? Im looking to change mine out, but havent decided on 3.90 or 4.10 ratio yet. Are you content with the 4.10 or would you recommend the 3.90 set instead? My car is not a daily driver, its really more of a cruiser. Its not uncommon for me to take it out for the day and rack up 200 miles or more.

The tires chirp much harder now (and break loose). The gears are by far the best mod I've done. Do NOT go lower than 4.10, especially in an auto. You'll regret not going with a steeper gear. They are soooo much fun.