2000 GT Brake Squealing

Metalli485

Nov 10, 1998
Plano, TX
About a year ago I had a shop replace the front brake pads and turn the rotors. Every since I got them replaced I would notice a slight squealing noise when I applied the brakes. The stange thing is that is would only happen after 20 min of driving and when braking at highway speeds. Sometimes they wouldn't make a noise at all.

I got a different shop to check them out and they said that the brakes are fine and the noise is probably the result of cheap pads. They are not the kind of shop that tries to rip you off so they recommending living with the noise instead of getting the brakes worked on again.

Lately the squealing has been more consistent but still only happens when the brakes are warm after 20 min of stop and go driving. The braking performance is still good and I can see plently of material left on the front and rear pads. Any ideas why they are squealing? :shrug:

By the way....:SNSign: ROCKS!!! That is all.

• Sponsors (?)

Squealing is caused by vibrations in the brakes. The harmonics actually produce the sound.

The cause is either lack of lubrication ont he slides and any other place where there is metal to metal contact.

Another cause is cheap parts, or semi-metallic pads.