2004-6 celica vs 95 mustang gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang11

Sep 21, 2009
The celica is a gt-s dont know what exact year. but the stock 0-60 is 6.6 which is basicly tha same as my stang. This kid with the celica is talking so much crap to everyon about how fast it is. It is eathier 130hp or 180hp. 1.8l na no turbo nothing just stock. My stang is pretty much stock to. i know he will probably beat me but he cant be that much faster can he?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, that depends on how well you have maintained your car. Do you still have all the HP your GT came with stock? Or are you losing HP because you need a tune up? Likely it will come down to driver skill - miss a shift and he wins; he misses one, you win.

Remember, he's running a car that has about 10 years of newer technology on the GT. IMO, even if you win his car gets bonus points for keeping it close with half as many cylinders as you do.

Also remember, EVERYONE wants to beat a Mustang. The Mustang set the bar that everyone wants to beat, so you'll always have guys like this giving you crap.

Agreed with everyone here. You'll absolutely spank him unless you're a horrid driver, and even then there's a chance.

Track only though, make sure you tell him to put his money where his mouth is. That way he'll stop talking crap before the race because he'll be too worried about losing his money to you. Then take his money, and he won't be bragging about keeping up to you whatsoever afterwords

Chances are if you bet him money and are dead serious(and go to the track of course) then he will probably back down unless he is truly worshiping the 4cyl. But as Cythar said, he does have a lot more technology on you. Hell if you are fully confident offer him one full length. That is as long as you know your going to win. My suggestion, brush up on your take skills through third gear. I don't know how many times third gear has killed me when I had my tiburon.

i think it will be fairly close if the kid knows how to drive. tell him you'll only race him at the track and i almost guarantee that he'll back out. most of those type of guys are scared $hitless of actual track numbers. they like to hold onto their illusion of speed.

You should almost definitely beat him... I've taken down an 06 Civic Si which has the ZOMGK20 in it. I had just bought my Mustang, and a friend of mine has an 06 Si, with intake/exhaust, and he can drive VERY well. I had to really make damn sure I could drive my car properly but now, even at the track, I never lose to him. I hate grudge races and stuff, but this kid was flat out worshipped around here for having a 15 second car for crying out loud. I had to at least TRY and win. :shrug:

Track? Problem is not ALL of us have the luxury of being close to a "track" so we make our own tracks. And they just happen to be on a street. There is always a street around that no one uses and they do just fine. Probably not as safe as a track due to lack of Emergency personel, but you're in a stock Mustang, you won't get up to the speeds to necessitate Emergency responders! lol

Track>Street, but sometimes the street is the ONLY option.

Hope you beat him.

Track? Problem is not ALL of us have the luxury of being close to a "track" so we make our own tracks. And they just happen to be on a street. There is always a street around that no one uses and they do just fine. Probably not as safe as a track due to lack of Emergency personel, but you're in a stock Mustang, you won't get up to the speeds to necessitate Emergency responders! lol

Track>Street, but sometimes the street is the ONLY option.

WRONG! There is another option. Don't race!

I kept looking for the indicators of sarcasm in this post, because I was sure that no one on here would be advocating street racing. I couldn't find them, but maybe I'm just slow picking up on it.

The problem with street racing isn't "lack of emergency personnel", it's lack of controlled access. Oh, yeah, and it's friggin ILLEGAL!:notnice:

If you can't find a legal place to race, then don't do it.

Personally, I wouldn't give a stock Celica the honor of lining up next to my car. What's the point? If you win, so what? You've got twice the cubes. You should beat him. If you lose, you look like a real chump.

WRONG! There is another option. Don't race!

I kept looking for the indicators of sarcasm in this post, because I was sure that no one on here would be advocating street racing. I couldn't find them, but maybe I'm just slow picking up on it.

The problem with street racing isn't "lack of emergency personnel", it's lack of controlled access. Oh, yeah, and it's friggin ILLEGAL!:notnice:

If you can't find a legal place to race, then don't do it.

Personally, I wouldn't give a stock Celica the honor of lining up next to my car. What's the point? If you win, so what? You've got twice the cubes. You should beat him. If you lose, you look like a real chump.

When people say the word "street racing" they start getting images in their head of a downtown street with lots of half naked women standing on the sides of the street watching. Some guys drops his arms and people race down the street.

That's not what I do, or did rather. My cars is a POS so I don't race it. However, I and about 90% of the people on here whether they admit it or not, will from time to time drop the hammer if a buzz box comes rolling up wanting a piece. To me, that's more fun than any track can provide. But that's just me.

And speaking of Illegal, most of our cars are illegal anyway, no emmisions, cats, etc...

When people say the word "street racing" they start getting images in their head of a downtown street with lots of half naked women standing on the sides of the street watching. Some guys drops his arms and people race down the street.

That's not what I do, or did rather. My cars is a POS so I don't race it. However, I and about 90% of the people on here whether they admit it or not, will from time to time drop the hammer if a buzz box comes rolling up wanting a piece. To me, that's more fun than any track can provide. But that's just me.

And speaking of Illegal, most of our cars are illegal anyway, no emmisions, cats, etc...

And that's my point! At least in the first scenario you described, people are smart enough to block side streets, pick an area not frequently trafficked, with little chance of a pedestrian walking out in front of them.

"Dropping the hammer" when goaded into it by some one who "wants a piece", with little or no preparation, consideration of the situation, etc, is beyond foolish, it's negligent. A word that often precedes "homicide" in courts.

See, my son is a TV reporter (and fellow Mustang enthusiast) who did an "at the scenes" story last night. Seems a guy with his two buds in the car (judging from the wheels and the rear spoiler, which is all I could recognize, it was a new Shelby GT500) "dropped the hammer" last night. Here's an excerpt from the newspaper article this morning:

The dead men, who were not immediately identified, were all in a black Mustang that collided with a Chevrolet pickup in the eastbound lanes of Dimond about 8:20 p.m., police said.

"It was evident from witness statements that the black Mustang had been westbound on Dimond and was accelerating to a high rate of speed, apparently lost control, jumped the median, which is a small grass median, and slid sideways, actually T-boning itself on the front end of the white Chevrolet pickup," police Lt. Dave Parker said at the scene late Friday night.

The Mustang slammed into the pickup at a slight angle, virtually demolishing the car at the point of impact, which was the front passenger side. The driver and rear passenger were pronounced dead at the scene. The front-seat passenger was taken to a hospital, where he died about an hour later, police said.

"At least a third of the way into the Mustang is how far the truck went into the car. It impinged a long ways in," said police patrol Sgt. Lee Rohwer, who was also at the scene late Friday. "This is worst-case scenario right here. Small car full of people and a big truck hits it broadside."

A family of four was in the pickup: a mother, father and two children probably between 6 and 10 years old, Parker said. The front end of the pickup was smashed in, but the cab was pretty much intact.

I know, you're a better driver than that guy. Bet he thought he had it all under control too.

Your logic is also fatally flawed when trying to justify street racing by citing the fact that some have removed emissions equipment. You are correct in stating that both are illegal (in most cases). However, you are incorrect in proposing that since someone chose to violate the law in one area, which poses some health and safety risk, it's OK to violate the law in another, which poses a much bigger, and more immediate health and safety risk.

Sorry, but try all you want, you're not gonna justify street racing in any form to me. And yes, I've done it. I was a 16 year-old, testosterone-fueled punk with a really quick 68 GT Fastback and an old patrol car with a 428 Interceptor in it. Only by the grace of God am I still alive. But I'm wise enough to not have done it in a LONG time, and to resist the urge to be enticed or shamed into "dropping the hammer" when some knothead pulls up along side me. And I'm going to be irritating enough to lecture others in hopes that they realize it's stupid (and illegal) to do so, in hopes that they'll learn from the mistakes of others...
:Track:

Status
Not open for further replies.