2006 H13 xenon headlights

horspowr

Feb 13, 2004
ATL
Has anybody had any luck with xenon (type or "look") headlight bulbs? every d*&^ set i buy burns out almost immediately. The first set was the wrong wattage/voltage so the last set i bought was the same as stock but not only were they not as bright as stock, they burned out the second day.

HELP!!

Thanks

Vic :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You need a kit that has ballasts to convert the power to the right wattage/voltage for xenon/hid's. VVME sells a decent kit. But if your car doesn't have the black shield in front of the bulbs (early 05's did and then they stopped doing it) you should get the saleen HID's. Without the black shield, your HID's wont focus well and will just blind the hell out of any oncoming traffic.

I have had a lot of luck using the NOKYA ARCTIC WHITE Stage II bulbs. They are 7k color, and usually higher than stock wattage but do not require a harness modification. They just plug in and you are done.

From my experience they last almost 2 years.

They are nothing like the junky Silverstars or the overly hyped and disappointing Luminics bulbs.

A set usually runs me about $20 per pair, so with shipping you could snag a set for around $45-50 online. I would stay away from eBay when buying these bulbs because I have seen a lot of imposters on there, or you get tricked into the StageI set which is stock wattage.

I have also used XENTEC HID kits that have ballasts and all the good parts. Around $140 a pair. and installation is easy. Overall the HID kits are better, but you lose your highbeam function. It's up to you what you want, but if you just want to replace the bulbs and not mess with extra wiring, the NOKYAs will impress you.

aye, Xenon (or otherwise HID) bulbs require a ballast to function (atleast as intended)

If your buying xenon bulbs, and putting them in your halogen bulb harness, then you will have your outcome..

If you buy a "xenon look-a-like" or a halogen bulb that produces similar lumens, then typically expect shorter life-spans (Not As short as you have) somewhere around 50-75% shorter than a stock-bulb life-span (100% dependant on Quality of manufacturer, and the intensity of the bulb)

and as Hobo mentioned, putting HID bulbs into the stock reflector housing, is a bad idea Not only for other-driver safety, but your own. without a proper HID reflector housing, or projector lenses, the amount of light being sent into the other driver's cabin.. Well, defininatly issues if your worried about them swerving into your lane because they literally can't see past their steeringwheel.

and as Hobo mentioned, putting HID bulbs into the stock reflector housing, is a bad idea Not only for other-driver safety, but your own. without a proper HID reflector housing, or projector lenses, the amount of light being sent into the other driver's cabin.. Well, defininatly issues if your worried about them swerving into your lane because they literally can't see past their steeringwheel.

I totally agree with the HID bulb problem. You can cause someones eyes to water by popping HIDs into these huge reflectors. That will make it hard for them to see. For safety sake you are better off getting a higher output bulb replacement.

I believe Nokyas are ~85w which is pretty darn high considerign stock is ~55w.

Or you could just get a hid kit..like on vvme.com
there only 99 bucks for bulbs ballast and everyhting takes about 30 minutes to install. Had them on my 04 and they were awesome ! Just some food for thought !

Lights

I agree with what HOBO said. I have an '06 with the black shield. I installed a 35W Bi Xenon HID kit from Retro-Solutions and I have had zero problems. I have yet to be "flashed" by oncoming drivers., and I've had them in since Christmas. I love them. But as I said, I wouldn't install them without the black shield.

I agree with what HOBO said. I have an '06 with the black shield. I installed a 35W Bi Xenon HID kit from Retro-Solutions and I have had zero problems. I have yet to be "flashed" by oncoming drivers., and I've had them in since Christmas. I love them. But as I said, I wouldn't install them without the black shield.

Does that not defeat the purpouse?

They are nothing like the junky Silverstars or the overly hyped and disappointing Luminics bulbs.

Just curious why you say that. I can't keep up with what kits are junk, which ones burn out, will they blind people, are they legal, on and on and on. So I bought the Silverstars for the headlights and foglights. They are nothing like HIDs but at least they are a lot whiter than the yellow stock bulbs. Are they not going to last or something?

Just curious why you say that. I can't keep up with what kits are junk, which ones burn out, will they blind people, are they legal, on and on and on. So I bought the Silverstars for the headlights and foglights. They are nothing like HIDs but at least they are a lot whiter than the yellow stock bulbs. Are they not going to last or something?

Silverstars are the best you can get in regular halogen bulbs, however, some people have experienced shorter life with them. Before I switched to HID, I had almost 2 yrs on a pair of Silverstars. The HID kit I bought has a lifetime warranty on the whole kit. Also, HID bulbs have an expected lifetime of aprox. ten times that of a standard bulb, FYI. :nice:

HID

Where is the best place to get these HID kits everyone is talking about and how much do you have to spend to get quality without emptying your wallet?

Go to Retro-Solutions.com. I got the 35W, BiXenon (High & Low beams) digital kit, I just checked and the kit I got is $160 shipped. I got mine around Christmas. They also had a lifetime warranty on the kit. I love mine. Quality kit, plug & play. I got the 6000K color and I think it is perfect, very white with a slight hint of blue. They have a little more powerful kit too, but the 35W kit kicks a$$. Stay away from Ebay. :nice:

Silverstars last just fine. They just don't increase visibility like they claim and are some of the most expensive bulbs.

The black shield? No, as I understand it, it only stops the light that is emited from the END of the HID bulb which is what is mostly responsible for blinding of oncoming drivers. Works for me.

Oh, it's just a cap for the tip of the bulb? I thought you meant like the tinted headlight covers. That's why I thought it would defeat the purpose.

PSYKOSTEVO , thanks for your info. I see there are a lot of options out there but im looking for just a little more visibility and a little less "yellow" tone in the light quality. Too much work for the HID upgrade... I will try the NOKYA ARCTIC WHITE Stage II - its funny i've had three sets of bulbs, one set from Blue Oval industries and two sets from Ebay all are crap... ashame cause i paid forty bucks for the ones from B.O.I. and they burned out almost immediately....

PSYKOSTEVO , thanks for your info. I see there are a lot of options out there but im looking for just a little more visibility and a little less "yellow" tone in the light quality. Too much work for the HID upgrade... I will try the NOKYA ARCTIC WHITE Stage II - its funny i've had three sets of bulbs, one set from Blue Oval industries and two sets from Ebay all are crap... ashame cause i paid forty bucks for the ones from B.O.I. and they burned out almost immediately....

It's 40 bucks for an HID kit that is basically plug and play...

90 if you get the high beams but if you drive in the city you don't need em...

Silverstars are the best you can get in regular halogen bulbs, however, some people have experienced shorter life with them. Before I switched to HID, I had almost 2 yrs on a pair of Silverstars. The HID kit I bought has a lifetime warranty on the whole kit. Also, HID bulbs have an expected lifetime of aprox. ten times that of a standard bulb, FYI. :nice:

Silverstar is a Medium brand.. . If you want the best. Hands down

PIAA

I doubt anyone could name a company with as much support and quality products that they have!

and to add.. If ever you buy a product from Ebay, which is manufactured or assembled by some online company..
I'm not going to say your stupid, but Definatly... If you expect anything good from it, reguardless of how much you paid... lol.. don't.

99.9% of ebay brand's are a Hit or Miss... The price may be great, or may be just a hair-better than a name brand.. but expect far-less quality or craftmanship Regaurdless of how "reputable" they claim they are.