2008 3v engine swap?

rlmesq

Nov 25, 2005
I have a blown head gasket on my 2002 GT and am considering a swap for a low mileage 2008 3v motor.

Anybody know what would be involved, parts-wise? The motor would come with all stock electronics. Will my stock TR3650 hook up, or am I looking at a transmission swap, too?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It might seem like it .. but the 24v engines actually put out as much if not more HP stock than my 32v. The power adders are pretty cheap and variable camshaft timing is very appealing.

I am having some problems with compression on the 5-8 cylinders and have been trying to evaluate the cheapest way to fix it. Replacing might be the cheapest solution. When I was looking at prices for 3v vs 4v engines... the 3v were cheaper.

Just pulled the exhaust and dropped the transmission. Engine comes out next weekend.

It might seem like it .. but the 24v engines actually put out as much if not more HP stock than my 32v.

The 3V mods are pretty impressive but I'd still rather have a 4V setup, especially if you've got a manual box and thus the steel crank, 8-bolt flywheel and 7000RPM to play with. And those mods making 315HP from the factory already basically have FRPP exhaust, CAI and agressive tunes in place. That sort of stuff on a 4V should, I would think, eclipse a 3V in terms of output.

The power adders are pretty cheap and variable camshaft timing is very appealing.

But it's not as if the VVT on the Mustangs is used to enhance power delivery, especially since there's a single cam on each side and valve timing changes made to, say, the intake affect the exhaust as well. It's an emissions thing, not a power thing.

I am having some problems with compression on the 5-8 cylinders and have been trying to evaluate the cheapest way to fix it. Replacing might be the cheapest solution. When I was looking at prices for 3v vs 4v engines... the 3v were cheaper.

If an entire bank is hurt I'd suspect something in the valvetrain or cam drive on that side. I think it'd be cheaper to source a rebuilt head (for example) for a 4V than swap in an entire 3V engine, intake, harness and so on.