2012 GT-V-8-6MT-> Engine Oil Level

Got the car 4 days ago and have put 200+ miles on it. Taking it easy(I know everybody has their own methods for breakin) with running it through the gears not over 4500rpm and no constant speed on a highway.

After car has been off for 15 minutes, checking the oil level shows it between the two marks on the stick. Even adding oil to the full mark , later shows the oil just above halfway. Not leaking any oil and added a JLT Oil Seperator that show only residue at this point.

Would appreciate any feedback as to your experience when new and after XXX miles.

• Sponsors (?)

Got the car 4 days ago and have put 200+ miles on it. Taking it easy(I know everybody has their own methods for breakin) with running it through the gears not over 4500rpm and no constant speed on a highway.

After car has been off for 15 minutes, checking the oil level shows it between the two marks on the stick. Even adding oil to the full mark , later shows the oil just above halfway. Not leaking any oil and added a JLT Oil Seperator that show only residue at this point.

Would appreciate any feedback as to your experience when new and after XXX miles.

Hi retiredf5,

Has your oil consumption decreased as you continue to drive your Mustang? If you are still having large oil decreases, I suggest you bring it in to the dealer just to make sure everything is functioning correctly.Also, please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer information and I will look into it. Hopefully it has resolved itself and you are driving a happy Mustang. :)

~Natasha

I'm at 1100 miles right now and added 2 qts. to bring halfway between the lower & upper holes (That's where it was the day I bought it) Hopefully this slows down!

My experience was the same with the new 5.0. i had to add 2 qts. the first 2K miles, but after 5K consumption stopped. Now at 10K, and haven't had to add any oil since.

having assembled a few engines in my time, this is a pretty typical break in. I suspect these engines are spin tested after assembly and not actually run for break in. That leaves it to us to seat the rings and such. Chevy has a lot of this reported on their LS powered trucks for the same reason.

Hello,

That level of consumption is normal in the early stages. I recommend checking it periodically. If it continues or increases, I suggest a visit to the dealer to make sure everything is functioning correctly. If you have any additional questions, feel free to let me know.

~Natasha