24 lb ijnectors and calibrated maf enough for v3?

Yes, assuming you buy the Pro-M meter designated to work with the 42lb/hr injectors, it will work fine. It's still going to be a little rich in the lower regions and throughout the power band though. No combination of injector or MAF meter will be dead on with the stock computer until a proper baseline has been established via ECU tune.

Troofs with one caveat. With a tune, any Fox compatible injector can be used with any Fox compatible MAF. Mass ir transfer function and injector size are irrelevant where the tune is concerned so long as injector size and maf opening are large enough to support the application.

In other words: I can take a "calibrated" MAF designed for 24s and run any size injector I like with a custom tune.

• Sponsors (?)

Troofs with one caveat. With a tune, any Fox compatible injector can be used with any Fox compatible MAF. Mass ir transfer function and injector size are irrelevant where the tune is concerned so long as injector size and maf opening are large enough to support the application.

In other words: I can take a "calibrated" MAF designed for 24s and run any size injector I like with a custom tune.
If that's the case, what's the point of selling MAF meters calibrated to injector size? If all function is controlled by the ECU, why bother calibrating the meter to the injector at all?

Why could companies like Pro-M for instance promote meters calibrated to spedific injector sizes, when you're just as well off buying any of their meters and having a chip burned for the ECU? I mean...should my car run the same with their meter calibrated to 19lb/hr injectors as it would with one calibrated for 42lb/hr injectors prior to a dyno tune if that's the case?

I understand where a meter that uses sample tubes like C&L to "fool" the computer into making the necessary changes to fuel strategy, but what exactly is the difference between the meters then for a company like say Pro-M if all of the functions are controlled by the ECU ? They don't use a sample tube like C7L, so where are the changes made to the meter that make one differe from another other than the part number?

If that's the case, what's the point of selling MAF meters calibrated to injector size? If all function is controlled by the ECU, why bother calibrating the meter to the injector at all?

Why could companies like Pro-M for instance promote meters calibrated to spedific injector sizes, when you're just as well off buying any of their meters and having a chip burned for the ECU? I mean...should my car run the same with their meter calibrated to 19lb/hr injectors as it would with one calibrated for 42lb/hr injectors prior to a dyno tune if that's the case?

I understand where a meter that uses sample tubes like C&L to "fool" the computer into making the necessary changes to fuel strategy, but what exactly is the difference between the meters then for a company like say Pro-M if all of the functions are controlled by the ECU ? They don't use a sample tube like C7L, so where are the changes made to the meter that make one differe from another other than the part number?

the pro-m's still "fake" the computer, but theyre calibrated via the electronics vs the sample tube (the c&l's use the ford sensor). as to why use one? cause it works, especially with injectors on the smaller side of the scale (24's, 36's etc) where the startup issues wont be noticed as bad. plus not everyone has a tuner in their area. theres also a cost issue, remember most everyone upgrading a maf is doing it to go to a bigger one, not just to use bigger injectors. a single ~$200 part is a lot easier on the wallet than the $200 part + an hour at the tuner.

Reactions: 1 user
the pro-m's still "fake" the computer, but theyre calibrated via the electronics vs the sample tube (the c&l's use the ford sensor). as to why use one? cause it works, especially with injectors on the smaller side of the scale (24's, 36's etc) where the startup issues wont be noticed as bad. plus not everyone has a tuner in their area. theres also a cost issue, remember most everyone upgrading a maf is doing it to go to a bigger one, not just to use bigger injectors. a single ~$200 part is a lot easier on the wallet than the $200 part + an hour at the tuner.

BINGO! :nice:

What's more is that companies like Pro-M do a much better job of assuring the accuracy (repeatable results) of their meters vs. something that relies on a sample tube.

You fellas had me nervous for a minute. The way you made it sound was as though if you didn't have your ECU reprogrammed to match the characteristics of the meter and injectors, you were asking for trouble....when in reality as long as you remain conservative with your choices, the ECU should be able to compensate just fine.

I thought I remembered reading an article from Pro-M where they stated ECU modifications should only be necessary beyond 2-injectors sizes over stock.

I'd hate to think that adding 30lb/hr injectors and corresponding Pro-M MAF meter to my brand new 331 without a corresponding ECU tune, could result in excessively rich operating conditions that might damage the engine?

You fellas had me nervous for a minute. The way you made it sound was as though if you didn't have your ECU reprogrammed to match the characteristics of the meter and injectors, you were asking for trouble....when in reality as long as you remain conservative with your choices, the ECU should be able to compensate just fine.

I thought I remembered reading an article from Pro-M where they stated ECU modifications should only be necessary beyond 2-injectors sizes over stock.

I'd hate to think that adding 30lb/hr injectors and corresponding Pro-M MAF meter to my brand new 331 without a corresponding ECU tune, could result in excessively rich operating conditions that might damage the engine?

2 sizes is about right. Anything over that is hit or miss. You start running into problems with injector cycle minimums, slope, durations, etc.

say noobz just curious but what do you do for a living and how did you get so knowledgable on these stangs?

I run a pretty large unit of aircraft maintainers for a living. I've been into mechanics/computers pretty much my entire life. I've gotten the majority of what I know about Stangs from turning wrenches, trial and error, and hanging out with dudes just like you and all the others here. :nice:

Ok, one more thing my man. When time it's time to take the crank pulley off for sc kit, I'm gonna need an impact huh??

Yep... unless you want to pull the motor to do it. Even with a spanner wrench and breaker bar, it's tough as hell with it sitting in the bay. A good impact gun with a good air supply, will zip that thing off in no time.