26" vs. 28" Tires and Traction

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
What kind of traction differences would I see between them? Right now I have some ET Street 26x10.50 tires on the 15" Welds. I have never driven it with these tires but they arn't filling the wheel wells and just are too small. Is it a worthwhile difference?

• Sponsors (?)

You know the basics... A taller tire cuts down on the effective final drive ratio, but makes up for it at the end of the quater mile (if your car is strip only.)

I can't comment on the traction though so TTT for you.

A 28" hooks up better than a 26".

Better contact patch,and like said roll out is better.

With the right wheel,you can get a 28X10.5" slight in OR a 28"X12.5" ET Street (!!)

AND THE 28"X10.5" SLICK STILL HAS A BIGGER CONTACT PATCH!

Well,the M/T's anyhow...:D

Thanks for the replies.

Bluevenom, that was the answer I was looking for.

I have 15x8 Weld Draglites in the back I got by trading my Cobra R's. I plan on getting a 275/60R15 (28" tall tire) MT DR's for the steet and then getting some 28x10.50 ET Drags for the strip. Will these be OK for the 8" wide wheel? I know what happens when you stuff to much tire on a wheel, and if I leave my mark at the track, I don't want it to be on the gaurdrails.

Right now I have a 3.73 on a rebuilt traction-loc, stock axels and carrier. A 28" tire would be like a 3:4X gear, and higher gears isn't a way to fix traction. Probally a slick would only mean a snapped axel, which a broken c-clip axel can really ruin your day. I plan on rebuilding the rear with a 4.30-4.56 gear, solid spool, 33 spline axels, c-clip eliminators. I will probally do the strange drag disc brakes too. Mini-tubbing might also happen. In that case, I might end up getting a much wider wheel. So many plans... which will happen before I die, hopefully...

Thanks for the advise/replies.

90mustangGT said:
Thanks for the replies.

Bluevenom, that was the answer I was looking for.

I have 15x8 Weld Draglites in the back I got by trading my Cobra R's. I plan on getting a 275/60R15 (28" tall tire) MT DR's for the steet and then getting some 28x10.50 ET Drags for the strip. Will these be OK for the 8" wide wheel? I know what happens when you stuff to much tire on a wheel, and if I leave my mark at the track, I don't want it to be on the gaurdrails.

Right now I have a 3.73 on a rebuilt traction-loc, stock axels and carrier. A 28" tire would be like a 3:4X gear, and higher gears isn't a way to fix traction. Probally a slick would only mean a snapped axel, which a broken c-clip axel can really ruin your day. I plan on rebuilding the rear with a 4.30-4.56 gear, solid spool, 33 spline axels, c-clip eliminators. I will probally do the strange drag disc brakes too. Mini-tubbing might also happen. In that case, I might end up getting a much wider wheel. So many plans... which will happen before I die, hopefully...

Thanks for the advise/replies.

Hmm...maybe,I know we got a 26"X10.5" M/T slick on a 8" Draglite with 5.5" BS befor,never tried the 28".

The wheels we got now,are Weld Alumstars,there meant for a Mustang and have a 6" BS and are 9 1/4" wide.

To get the 28"X12.5" ET Street in,we had to roll and hammer the fender lip (already done with the 26" as the 5.5" BS would slighty rub when the car had the lowering spring kit),and beat the inner fender wall in and some minor clearancing here and there.

What you should do is,jack the car up,get some big metal shears,a hack saw (or better yewt,a zaws-all),and a BIG hammer and just go to town.

If that doesnt work,save up for some new wheels,if you dont like the Alumstars or Magnums,you can get a 10" Draglite with 6.5" BS and use a 1/2" spacer.

But you'll only know once you got the tires to try.

edit:Oh,BTW the M/T Radials DO NOT last long on the street...

Oh,and for the axles,Moser just came out with their 35 spline and spool set-up for the 8.8",were one of the first to get one! :nice: And let me just say,the axles are super beefy (like twice as think as Moser's own 28 spline race axles) :jaw: