2v Rattle

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
Ok, I'm about to give up on Mustangs. Went to look at an 03 gt with a 5spd today.....33k miles. In case you don't remember or don't know....I sold my 04 because of an elusive rattling noise I could never pinpoint and the dealer couldn't seem to fix. So I goto test drive this car....and it makes the SAME NOISE!

Right about 2.5-2.7k, it makes a metallic rattle sound. It took a minute to find it, but once it warmed up, I could sit in neutral and rev it to that range, and once I found the rattle, I could hold it there for minutes. Even the salesmen heard it. I told him I wasn't interested in a car that had the same noise I got rid of my other one for....

What are the odds of coming across two stangs with the same rattle noise...exact same. Makes me wonder if its something inherent in a mustang....or just some stupid bracket or something loose. Just a very weird sound especially since its limited to that rpm range.

Does anyone ever notice a rattle at that rpm range? Seriously, I'm about to give up on finding a Mustang....although I'm going to go test drive a few more just to see if they make this darn noise too.

• Sponsors (?)

Occasionally, but it started when I got my exhaust done (midpipes and mufflers at the same time, so I don't know which caused it).

Mustangs will rattle though. It why you only pay $25,000 for em. You can settle for it and drive a Mustang, or go down the road to the BMW dealership, and pay $10k more for a car with 70 less horsepower and no rattles.

If I knew it was just a loose bracket or something....I wouldn't care, but I'd feel like such a fool if it were an engine problem and I just happened to have the bad luck of coming across 2 cars with the same problem. Out of warranty, and $15k....if the engine blew in 2 months I'd shoot myself for being stupid enough to buy it without knowing what was wrong with it.

I don't care if the interior pieces rattle, etc.....I just don't want some piston slap or something going on.

Once my ear was tuned to that sound.....I could hear it over my O/R PC and Mac cat-back.....so the sound is pretty loud and distinct. The salesmen heard it today and he was about 10 feet away from the car.

But like the other post about this rattle said....its not really a sound that increases with rpm or anything like you'd think it would if it were a major engine component.....its just a steady rattle at those rpm's, then it disappears.

Mine rattles like you describe. Some have described it as a "death rattle" and Ford even has a SSM out about it. Check the Bullitt archive and you see these two entries:

"Mustang 4.6L 2V cold start rattle
Some 2001-2002 Mustang GT equipped with a 4.6L 2V engine and a manual transmission, may exhibit a cold start piston rattle. Engineering is investigating this condition using the quicker service fix (QSF) process. Do not attempt any service at this time. Continue to contact the national hot line to verify condition. A service fix should become available in the second quarter submit EDSR's and continue to monitor oasis for updated information.
"

and

"Mustang - Cold engine light ticking/rattle noise:
Some 2001-2002 Mustang GT and Bullitt with the TR3650 Manual Transmission may exhibit a light ticking/rattle noise while driving after a cold engine start. The noise will typically occur between 2200-3500 RPM under light throttle (1/8 to 1/4 open) while driving. The noise may last for a few minutes (depending on temperature). The condition is due to the combination of light load operation noted above and normal piston to cylinder bore clearance present in the cold engine. To service, verify condition & reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration available via the just-in-time process if your WDS communicates with Fordstar. Also obtain calibrations on the Ford Professional Technician Society (PTS) website - select WDS then PCM reprogramming and click instructions for downloading...
"

http://www.bullittarchive.com/WebHelp/Reference/TSB_s_and_Special_Messages.htm

I know these both say cold but I can hear mine do it when it's warm too, though to a much lesser degree. Ford sez it's essentially piston slap though with tight-fitting hypereutectics I don't see these things slapping when warm as "normal" but, okay.

Mine makes good power and doesn't burn oil despite the racket so I just let it warm up before pounding on it and turn the volume on the stereo up...

quoting 04yellowgt like you said if i do have a rattle my exhaust is so loud i cant here it, thats a good one. mine sounds like rattle but i think its the lack of cats there of on mine. i have wide open exhaust use to have dumps but it was obnockshishly loud so i put full out the back with 3"tips

Who cares about the damn rattle man. If it has good compression, the motor will last. Drive the car like you stole it. And if it breaks, it breaks. Ford isn't exactly a "quality" company :rlaugh:

I'd say most of us would care about a engine rattle. If I buy another Mustang, it will be my daily driver for the next 5 years....so I need something that I can at least go into it feeling comfortable. I know no car is predictable, but why start off with a problem?

And I know good compression is a very important factor, but its no guarantee the motor will last. I'm far from poor, but still don't like to just throw money down the drain.

If I can determine this is a "normal" rattle, and feel it means there is nothing wrong with the major components on the cars.....I'd still buy it. DOesn't matter anyways, the 03 I just looked at was in a rear-end collision. No sense buying a car that was repaired and rattles.

I've got the same rattle at the same rpm. Took it to ford and they said it was the cats so replaced the entire stock mid pipe. The rattle is still there though. No matter how many times I get under the car I can't find what it is. It's got to be something external to to engine, mine just sounds like marbles in a can.

Sure it isn't detonation? What octane were you running in your old car? I get it if I use 87...very rarely 89 when it gets warm outside. Stepping up in octane gets rid of it. I have 170K+ miles on mine and no internal failures are even imminent as far as performance.

My 97 4.6 Expy is really bad about it because my wife always puts cheap gas in but a bump in octane or a bottle of octane boost takes care of it also. It has over 200K now with no internal problems evident.

Doc...I notice you are in Cincy. Do they change to a winter blend up there? Just sounds so much like you are getting bad gas.