3:55 gears

• Sponsors (?)

Pughman said:
Numerically higher gears won't give you more power, but they will improve the way your Mustang uses what it has. The flip-side of the coin is lower top speed, but unless you cruise at 80+ mph a reasonable gear swap won't affect your regular commute.

By way of clarification, it's not just top speed that suffers. The speed in every gear for any given engine RPM is also lower, including the speed at which you shift. With 3.27s, 40MPH can be had at 6000RPM in 1st. Switching to 4.10s gives only 32MPH, give or take. This is not always an advantage.

Also, "you can do more work (move the car) with less effort (torque) with a higher ratio" is not technically correct. Work is the moving of a mass through a distance D in a period T. When considering gears, one has to remember that the percentage by which wheel torque goes up is directly offset by the percentage wheel RPM goes down. In the equation rwHP=wRPM*wT/5252, the rwHP remains constant and the ability to do work remains the same.

I still wager that gears give a good "seat of the pants" feel, enable the car to claw out of the hole better and give a way to match vehicle performance to the engine characteristics (e.g. favoring higher RPM operation) but because they add no power to the mix, they don't really make the car any "faster" overall.

Won't stop me from getting some 3.73s though :D

Anyone who thinks 4.10's put some huge dent in fuel milage: you're an idiot, plain and simple.

My experience says that NO, they don't.

My experience and others with 4.10's experience > people with stock gears sitting on their asses thinking they know how stuff works

Grow a pair, quit crying about "Oh noes, teh RPMs are to much!!!", or go buy a Civic.

codyGT said:
Why do all of the 4.10 lovers think that 3.27s suck so bad?

My 1991 GT had 2.73 w/5-speed only option was 3.08. One of my LT1's had 3.23 and another 2.73.

I myself would rather have 3.55 or 3.73 in my GT.

IMO 4.10 suck and make a nice car feel like junk. I have raced a GT w/4.10's and was unimpressed.

Because I've owned both. Not "I've raced someone with 4.10's" or "My friend's friend's friend let me drive his car for 1.3 miles with 4.10's" but driven and raced both.

N/A: 4.10+

[/gear fear]

4:10's here. No real noticable difference in fuel consumption. Big difference in seat of the pants feel, and off the line performance. Best friend has 3:73's in his '01, and loved them...until he drove mine. As many have said, it's all personal preference, however I think you would love the 4:10's.