3-View images needed.

• Sponsors (?)

68rustang said:
does anybody have a three view picture or drawing of a 67 or 68 coupe? I am tinkering around with car modeling in Rhino 3d.
I kinda suspected that might be the reason for the request when I saw the title... Check out here: http://www.swaqvalley.com/blueprints.php?section=samples

BTW, I'm interested in Rhino... how is it? I've never actually done any 3d modeling, but I've been looking into Maya, which seems pretty daunting. Does Rhino have plug-ins for converting images, or at least some slick way of doing it that doesn't involve doing it from scratch?

Thanks for the link. I don't know much about it yet I am just getting started. I am trying to learn it because it has a plug-in for my solid modeling software, Alibre Design.

I will probably try the 69 Boss as my first. I really wish they had a 67 or 68 coupe
:mad:

Rhino is more for just making 3D images and doing some rapid prototyping. it's very easy to use, i've been using it for about 4 years now. If you're trying to make parts however, i would strongly reccomend you go with something like solid works instead, which allows you to build assemblies of different moving parts.

I am very experienced using solid modeling programs. I am proficient in Solidworks, IDEAS, Pro-E, Alibre, Inventor, and 2-D AutoCAD. We are looking into Rhino strictly as a surface modeler, although models can be transferred seamlessly between Rhino and our solid modelling software, Alibre using a plug-in. As a side "fun" project I though trying to model my 68 coupe might help me learn the software. The modeling software I listed above isn't good for modeling things like car bodies . You have to use things like 3DStudioMax or Rhino that allow you more freedom.

You guys wouldn't happen to have had any experience with rapid prototyping would you? I have an architectural model on my desk that a guy here in town made for me, its a gypusm powder base, he used my 3-D autocad model to print it. Lets just say I want a 3d printer now!

I looked into getting a 3D printer a few years ago and looked at it again Tuesday at an industrial show here in town. The machine I looked at was a Dimension 3-D printer. It creates functional parts out of ABS plastic 0.010" at a time. Initially it was $29,900.00 however it looks like the price is now down to $24,900.00. Really cool technology but in the end I didn't have enough work to justify the machine purchase. At the show they showed me a fully functional plastic ball bearing that was "printed" as an assembly on their machine. It was really neat.

68rustang said:
I looked into getting a 3D printer a few years ago and looked at it again Tuesday at an industrial show here in town. The machine I looked at was a Dimension 3-D printer. It creates functional parts out of ABS plastic 0.010" at a time. Initially it was $29,900.00 however it looks like the price is now down to $24,900.00. Really cool technology but in the end I didn't have enough work to justify the machine purchase. At the show they showed me a fully functional plastic ball bearing that was "printed" as an assembly on their machine. It was really neat.

68rustang, i just downloaded alibre design express (the free version) a few weeks ago, but haven't really played it with it yet. i have absolutely zero experience with any kind of software like that. can you give me any hints? i'd like to do something simple like adjustable strut rods or something.

Do you not have any mechanical design software experience or not any 3D experience? The reason I ask is people that are used to 2D AutoCAD type programs usually have a tough time initially getting into the proper mindset of 3D parametric solid modeling. It is nothing major but my first IDEAS class in engineering school had me about to pull my hair out until I got used to "constraints." Up until that point all I wanted was a workstation with AutoCAD and in minutes I could draw anything you wanted. That being said nowadays I don't like using ACAD for anything other than priniting legacy data and very quick layout work. I haven't used or looked into the free Alibre package yet. My understanding is it basically operates the same as the fully licensed software. The limitations are in the size of the assemblies you can build.

Anyway to answer your question, hints:

When sketching parts don't worry about placing things very accurately, constraints and dimensioning will determine the final location of all features.

Join the forums or just browse what is at :
http://www.alibre.com/forums/
It is not as active as stangnet but there is a bit of good info there.

Check out the tutorials that this guy put together:
http://www.aircraft-computational.com/alibre/assistance/tutorials.html
They are pretty simple and will give you a good feel for the software.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email with any questions you have about anything.

Alibre isn't the best package out there, but for 90% of the functionality of Solidworks at less than 10% of the price it works for us.

hey thanks for the links man. i don't ahve any kind of computer modeling software at all 2D, or 3D so this is all new to me. i just happened to get lucky and found a link on either corner-carvers or pro-touring, don't remember which, but it was free and i've wanted to try some modeling software for a while now, so i signed up for it

68rustang said:
Funny about the timing of this thread... the reason I've been looking into Maya and Rhino was to start doing 3D renders for "artistic" purposes (as an extension of my algorithmic composition methods). Anyway, we were just scheming today about submitting for a grant to buy a Z printer for the digital and experimental arts department at UW to compliment the new computer lathe. The art school has 2 Z printers, but they're rather stingy with giving access. The model we were looking at was the Z810 (http://www.zcorp.com/products/printersdetail.asp?ID=3), but we think it'll be difficult to get a grant for $180K. So instead, we're considering submitting for the Z406, which is only $57K, which might be do-able. We were pricing media as well, and I didn't realize how expensive it could be to generate a decent sized piece, so having the smaller Z printer might actually be a blessing in disguise.

BTW, for any of ya'll at a big university, you might check into what kind of access you can get to the mechanical engineering department's gear... Here at UW, any student with a good project and that learns to use the equipment can use the ME's full machine shop. I'm gonna look into taking the orientation and safety classes before next summer.:nice:

bnickel said:
hey thanks for the links man. i don't ahve any kind of computer modeling software at all 2D, or 3D so this is all new to me. i just happened to get lucky and found a link on either corner-carvers or pro-touring, don't remember which, but it was free and i've wanted to try some modeling software for a while now, so i signed up for it

One more thing, make sure your sketches (2D) and assemblies (3D) are fully constrained before moving on. If they are not funny things can happen when you try to manipulate the models down the road.

once again, sorry for the long ass wait. but heres my 2d pic. im working on a 3d pic... ill get a screenshot of it today if i have a chance. as for the pic, my teacher said it needed more shading and what not, so i added a partial eleanor kit, so dont hate me too much, its not my fault, lol. (even tho i do like the eleanor front bumper, those lights are just too damn sexy)

Click to see the full size

albergoorthographic26hb.th.jpg

Attachments

• albergoorthographic26hb.th.jpg
    albergoorthographic26hb.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 44
I really shouldn't have lumped I-deas and Pro-E in with the "middle of the road" packages like Solidworks, Inventor, Solid-Edge or even Alibre. Although Pro-E does have their Wildfire package in there. Both Pro-E and Ideas are amazing packages and with the proper program modules can do just about anything in the design world.

That being said unless you have a OEM sized bank account you can't afford Pro-E or I-deas. Then you are back in the realm of the rest of us using a surface modeler and importing that model into another package to finish the design.