302 into ranger?

venom97

Apr 29, 2003
Illinois
i've got an 86 fi 302 im planning on droping into my 85 ranger. has anyone done this swap before? just wondering what motor mounts im going to need. ive got the harness for the motor and all the parts.

• Sponsors (?)

log onto www.ford-trucks.com I dont know if they have swap info specifically, but a bunch of good ford truck resources.

As far as a small block into a ranger, this has been done before and there are kits to help you along the way. Should be very little fab required. Since the explorer also had a 5.0 v8, I know many of those parts will work as well.

Note: the earlier Rangers (I think the switch occured in 90/91) and the BRONCO II shared a chassis. The Explorer and later Rangers also shared a chassis. The 86 was the earlier type -- not sure how many of the Explorer bits will work for the earlier Ranger swaps.

I put a 302 in my 85 BII. I used the original V6 mounts with a flat piece of 3/8" steel with holes drilled for the block and for the stud and alignment pin on the original mount. Very simple and works well. P'm me with any specific questions you have...

My brother put a 418W in his '88 Ranger. I'd HIGHLY suggest you get a swap kit from Kauffman Products. Will make things 1 billion times easier. It'll actually make it a bolt in rather than a fabricate in.

As a side note his Ranger ran an 11.17@120 yesterday with a 1.53 60'.