331 ci is where its at

• Sponsors (?)

Really just depends on what you want to go with to be where its at. I have a DSS 331 kit in mine and so far it is doing well, just the rest of the car is not holding up to well with the new found power and torque, and there is more power left on tap with some tuning and the flip of a switch.

1994vib.redgt, i have always heard the same thing u have. i often hear of the 347's burning oil due to the wristpin placement, and not being as good of a daily driver motor. i have no experience with either motor and dont want to start a controversy but if it were me building somehting for my daily driver i would definately build a 331 myself. they seem to hold up a little better, from what i hear around where i live. for what its worth if i wanted a daily driver with 347 cubic inches i would just find a 351 windsor to build. they hold up real well.

Mac-man said:
1994vib.redgt, i have always heard the same thing u have. i often hear of the 347's burning oil due to the wristpin placement, and not being as good of a daily driver motor. i have no experience with either motor and dont want to start a controversy but if it were me building somehting for my daily driver i would definately build a 331 myself. they seem to hold up a little better, from what i hear around where i live. for what its worth if i wanted a daily driver with 347 cubic inches i would just find a 351 windsor to build. they hold up real well.

The 347's burning oil is old news. Places like CHP have fixed this. More cubes can ushally never hurt. And it's about the same price for a 331 as it is for a 347.

1994Vib.RedGT said:
ive been told that for a daily driven mostly street car that the 331 is a more reliable way to go when building a stroker than a 347.

Don't fall into that internet myth, magazine hype crap. Its simply not true. Unless you plan to build a 9000+RPM stroker, there is NO reason to select a 331 over a 347. if you guys want to believe all that hype go ahead, I'll take my extra 16 cubes and motor on by... :spot:

If you are worried about oil ring and pin intersection use a 5.315" rod and a 1.175" CH piston.

Build properly the 5.315" or 5.4" 347 will run a long time, and be very relaible. I tend to build 331's for boosted combos since I like the comp ratios a little better out of the box.

Paul, what did you ever decide to do with yours?

Rick 91GT said:
Paul, what did you ever decide to do with yours?

Rick, I'm still waiting on my neighbor to come through and sell me part of his property and re-do my driveway, as soon as that is completed I'll be calling you. I just got back from vacation in aruba so hopefully I can get the ball rolling with the driveway ASAP.

SeventyMach1 said:
427 Smallblock IS WHERE IT'S AT!

For real, though, use the same crank....punch it a little more to a 347.... While in the "building" stage, there is no reason NOT to do it. :D

331 and 347 have diff cranks

331 is a 3.25 and
347 is a 3.40

both those are bore .030 over

Dustin

I have a Probe forged 331 kit in mine and its strong...My next motor will probably be a stroked 351W...I just gotta figure out what I'm stroking it to. The 331 is awesome on the street. I have a buddy with a 347 and it runs just as well on the street...the oil consumption is the same on both of our cars (hardly anything). I think the streetability factor is more related to what else you strap on the engine (ie cam, intake, exhaust). You'll be happy with either, but if I were you I would go with the 347....there's no replacement for displacement!

Killercanary said:
Rick, I'm still waiting on my neighbor to come through and sell me part of his property and re-do my driveway, as soon as that is completed I'll be calling you. I just got back from vacation in aruba so hopefully I can get the ball rolling with the driveway ASAP.

Went to Aruba on our Honeymoon last month (Yes finally we were married), loved every minute...we plan on making it back as often as we can.

Just give me a call when your ready, been building some interesting stuff lately. :nice: and they are all running great!

www.rnhperformance.net

GTwannaB said:
well i was still thinking of going ahead and buying a short block assembly , what companies have the most reliable product, cuz ive taken part in building two 408 strokers and i know how hard it is to get all the different bearings and rings to clearance

I dont know what problems your 408's had but i dont see anymore problems than a 347 could have. All of my bearings were fine then I just had to file fit the rings.

when i do my engine, it will be a 9.0:1 compression 331 with very lightweight crank, rods and pistons with heads and a cam that can rev to 7000. then i'll strap on a t-70 turbo and hold on tight when it spools up. my neck hurts just thinking about it. :drool:

but that is probably at least 5 years away.