331 Stroker pistons

• Sponsors (?)

If you use probe 5.315" rods, then you can use probe 331 pistons with a 3.40 crank. I don't think you can use any 3.40 crank but I do know I use a scat 3.40 crank with probe ultralight I beam rods and probe 331 pistons in my 347.

I wanted the 5.4" rods but they were on a long back order so I settled for the 5.315" rods.

I'm wondering what pistons are going to be used with a 3.25'' stroke on the crank and 5.4'' rods. Would the pistons be the same as used in the 347 just the difference in stroke or are the pistons used stock size? My main concern as I should have thought of this before I order an Eagle 3.25'' stroker crank and 5.4'' eagle rods is the oil ring groove if it is above the pin hole?? I know JE makes 331 pistons for a 5.4'' rod.

Grn92LX said:
Most 331 pistons don't have the pin through the oil ring BUT it doesn't mater if they do.

Stay 347.

Well I already purchased eagle crank and rods. I also want the rod ratio to stay between 1.8 and 1.6. 347 ratio a bit steep as I want the motor to last longer than a 347 would. Do you have any part numbers of pistons. I know SRP makes a piston with the oil groove not through the pin. I am concern about oil consumption with the pin through oil groove.

JS94cobra said:
Well I already purchased eagle crank and rods. I also want the rod ratio to stay between 1.8 and 1.6. 347 ratio a bit steep as I want the motor to last longer than a 347 would. Do you have any part numbers of pistons. I know SRP makes a piston with the oil groove not through the pin. I am concern about oil consumption with the pin through oil groove.

Rod ratio doesn't determine how long an engine lasts. You are choosing parts incorrectly, but its your engine, not mine. Fwiw, my 347 does NOT have the pin through the oil ring but like i've said before its NOT like it matters if it does.

8:1 is the ideal rod ratio. 8 rods to 1 crank ;) A builder I talked to over on hardcore50.com has a 363" with over 185k miles no problems. Damn those 3.40 stroke engines never last ;)

Grn92LX said:
Rod ratio doesn't determine how long an engine lasts. You are choosing parts incorrectly, but its your engine, not mine. Fwiw, my 347 does NOT have the pin through the oil ring but like i've said before its NOT like it matters if it does.

8:1 is the ideal rod ratio. 8 rods to 1 crank ;) A builder I talked to over on hardcore50.com has a 363" with over 185k miles no problems. Damn those 3.40 stroke engines never last ;)

I understand what you are saying. I am basing what I've said previously on what I've read both in forums and on various websites. I've heard things about 347s and them consuming oil. I have also heard that the oil consuming problem has been solved with newer pistons. I still have a lot of reading to do and a lot to learn. You have been helpful in the responses you have given. Why is it that there are 331 and 347 pistons with the oil ring through pin and some without it? What piston would you recommend me getting. I plan on getting into the mid 300s with rwhp

The problem with the forums is you have people talking with no first hand experience and that creates myths/rumors. Those myths and rumors scare people and they make mediocre decisions. If you believe rod ratio is important, stay with a 302.

I use probe pistons and I can't say I have any problems. It does not matter if the pin is through the oil ring or not.

What combo are you looking at? Mid 300's is cake walk for a 331 and a 347 but using the same parts on top of each engine, the 347 makes more power through out the entire band. The kits cost the same so its like getting free hp. Now you see why I push the 347?

Grn92LX said:
The problem with the forums is you have people talking with no first hand experience and that creates myths/rumors. Those myths and rumors scare people and they make mediocre decisions. If you believe rod ratio is important, stay with a 302.

I use probe pistons and I can't say I have any problems. It does not matter if the pin is through the oil ring or not.

What combo are you looking at? Mid 300's is cake walk for a 331 and a 347 but using the same parts on top of each engine, the 347 makes more power through out the entire band. The kits cost the same so its like getting free hp. Now you see why I push the 347?

Yeah I see why. Well, I have on the way cast steel eagle crank 3.25'' stroke. forged 5.4'' eagle I rods and bearings from summit. The reason why I didn't go with a kit is because of the compression ratio. I wanted to keep it between 9.5:1 to 10:1. I am looking for a piston that is suitable for my needs as far as for compression ratio. I would like to get the windsor 180 heads with 58cc chambers. I didn't really want to spend too much on pistons. I am unsure about going to forged route.