351 windsor problem

89 White LX

Nov 24, 2004
Alabama
I been working on a speed density 89 model 351.
New timing chain, dist., wires, plugs, tfi module, map sensor,and head job.
the damn problem is this, at low throttle it runs great. at half throttle or wot it bogs and starts popping.

Any ideas what to check next.
BTW timing set at 10*, then up to 14* no change. Fuel pressure, is around 30-32 but at idle when you rev it up it drops a lb or 2.

• Sponsors (?)

Check fuel pressure with the vac line unplugged from the fuel regulator. Pressure with the vac line off should be 38-40psi...

Other than that, see if you have any diagnostic trouble codes coming from the eec.

What kind of vehicle are you working on?

good luck,
jason

i'm guessing it's the 89 lx by your screen name.

your FP is too low if you're checking as he mentioned. sounds like you're leaning out. It's likely either the fp regulator or pump I'd guess.

ok only thing i got to do today was drive it with a FP gauge on it

seems like it stays around 30-32 psi no matter what, even when its bogging. tried to turn the timing up a little more, but had to turn it back down because the van wouldnt crank at high timing.

any other ideas guys, really gotta get this POS out of the shop.

well i work for a ford dealership and we dont have obd I equipment anymore. Anything over 10yrs old we get rid of. thats why we should have never taken this van in :shrug:

Any way to pull em besides a computer?

Oh, there are ways of making that computer talk... :)

Search for member JRichker.
He has posted some VERY good info on pulling codes without a scanner :nice:

Are you working on this off the clock? :flag:

jason

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great.

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

index.php

index.php

attachment.php

IF your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-7208-90-equus-digital-ford-code-reader-3145.aspx – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.