351w casting question

I search around the web for about an hour last night, and I could not find a casting number for the years 80-93. I am looking at a bare 351w block and he says it came out of a car in the 80s. I am just making sure I know what year it is. I know I could check the height from the freeze plugs. Its one inch correct?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a 351w block that came out of the 80s?

• Sponsors (?)

Ford probably used different casting numbers over the years, but I believe up until either 93 or 94, they were non-roller blocks. Being non-roller is the only reason I could think of, but they can be converted with a kit.

StangGT1995 said:
Ford probably used different casting numbers over the years, but I believe up until either 93 or 94, they were non-roller blocks. Being non-roller is the only reason I could think of, but they can be converted with a kit.

I was just wondering about how much power the 80s blocks can take. Im not looking to make godly power out of the 351w :rolleyes:. I am looking to buy a good bottom end and putting the motor in. Then later on add goodies like aluminum heads, and/or nitrous.

I am not looking to make that much. Maybe 600 when I am all done with it. You might hace heard of high number, but you have no idea what year block they used.
I read a while back in a free mustang mag they made 692 (something close) NA with a 351w. The block was 1969 though.

No Offense but we need someone who knows more about this subject. Maybe someone who took a 351w out of a lincoln and is using the block now. I want to make sure I dont get f'd.

why not get a 70's block? up to 74' they were made stronger. i have 2 351w blocks, a C9(69') and a D4(74'). 80's blocks would have casting codes of E? where the E would mean 80's followed by the actual year it was made. ex. E1 would mean 81'.

pb_paulie_b said:
why not get a 70's block? up to 74' they were made stronger. i have 2 351w blocks, a C9(69') and a D4(74'). 80's blocks would have casting codes of E? where the E would mean 80's followed by the actual year it was made. ex. E1 would mean 81'.

This is all correct. So is the above post on roller blocks.

The old blocks are getting harder to find however, at least in the Seattle area. It took several months for me to find the 74 that I used for my 408.

If the block is in good condition there is no reason not to use a 80s block for moderate/reasonable power levels. Roller conversions can be done in your own garage using stock 302 parts.

Good Luck
jason