3G Alternator upgrade

Hi I know this question has been answered somewhere but I cannot figure out the search thing. My alternator packed it in so I am currently looking to purchase a 3G alternator. I know where you have to modify the alternator bracket but I was just wondering what exactly do you have to do for the electrical. Does it go down to one wire/plug because I have seen a ad for one and it says 1 wire ford mustang alternator. Just wondering but an explaination on how to do the electrical would be appreciated. Thanks

Rick

• Sponsors (?)

there are several ways to do it. i think the one-wire set up you refer to is different in that it is likely not self exciting (not something i would want, myself).
as i have read the various articles, i have found things in some of each that i liked and disliked.
if you are unsure, the wiring harness from PA is reportedly a nice piece. good luck.

Here's websites with pictures of the 3G installation...

See http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/3G_130A_Alternator_Upgrade.htm - all the tech data you could ever want to know
OR
http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/alternator.html - excellent pictures of installation

Use theses sites for information on the right way to do the wiring. Some people will tell you that you can skip the wiring upgrade, but it will catch up with you sooner or later. A fire in the wiring harness is ugly and expensive.

Under no circumstances connect the two 10 gauge black/white wires to the 3G alternator. If the fuse blows in the 4 gauge wire, the two 10 gauge wires will be overloaded to the point of catching fire and burning up the wiring harness.

Electric fan = 3G alternator if you want long life & reliability from your car.

Figure this:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

You do have to upgrade the wiring. Don't listen to anyone who says you can upgrade the alternator and use the stock wiring.

PA Performance has everything you need to do the upgrade right. Get a 3G alternator, and a wiring upgrade kit (you can get a "small parts" kit too which has the small connector you need). The kits are a little pricey, but they have everything you need, and it saves you time hunting down all the parts separately.

You need the "long" wiring kit ("standard", or "premium" is up to you).

HISSIN50 said:
there are several ways to do it. i think the one-wire set up you refer to is different in that it is likely not self exciting (not something i would want, myself).
as i have read the various articles, i have found things in some of each that i liked and disliked.
if you are unsure, the wiring harness from PA is reportedly a nice piece. good luck.

Hissin50, what's up man? How's your job going at PA Performance? (J/K) :D

PA = quality = support= good value.
Inspect your twin 10 gauge stock alt connector. I will bet it is darkened or even chared.

You won't be dissapointed in the PA unit.