3rd Clutch cable due to wearing out, WTF?

1987stangman

Jul 12, 2006
When I got my car 4 years ago it had the stock cable that was frayed and warn so I replaced it with a local parts store chepo. It lasted 1 year and It did not snap or anything but it gets warn out on the inside I guess from header heat and makes the clutch pedal hard to press in so I bought a FRPP cable from Racer Walsh and now it's doing the same thing. I don't get it! I is routed correctly and although I do have a UPR quadrent and firewall adjuster it did this crap even with the stock quadrent.

Car is on the road ALOT so maybe thats it?

• Sponsors (?)

same there here. The FPP unit is a cheapo cable as well. The Factory cables are the best but no one seems to carry them any more. I am on my 4th after the factory one broke. In my case the housing splits at the tranny. The pedal gets harder and hards until the clutch doesnt disengage any longer.

same there here. The FPP unit is a cheapo cable as well. The Factory cables are the best but no one seems to carry them any more. I am on my 4th after the factory one broke. In my case the housing splits at the tranny. The pedal gets harder and hards until the clutch doesnt disengage any longer.

well, I am glad to hear someone else has this problem. I think I am just going to buy 2 or 3 cheapos at one time and just replace them as they go out, it is just frustrating.

My FRPP adjustable has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years...and it is seeing some pretty intense heat (see sig).

With that said, just pick up a OEM replacement on the net. There a a few places that sell them for a reasonable price. An alternative is going through the likes of Maximum Motorsports....who sell a high quality cable themselves. Your last ditch effort would be the stealerships. You shouldn't have any problems finding them …but they are by far the highest priced option available.

I'd replace your current one ASAP...as it WILL fail on you. I was fortunate enough to find out within 1 mile of installing one...and withing 1 minute of installing another. I simply don't understand how they get away with selling those damn things...honestly.

Maximum Motorsports carries the "universal" Ford clutch cable for about $75 shipped. It's the same cable as the Mustang-specific one, except you have to transfer a little bracket from the old cable to the new one ... which takes all of maybe 5 minutes to do. Otherwise, most places will be having you pay about $150 for pretty much the same exact cable.

Ford OEM non-adjustable cable + firewall adjuster + aluminum quadrant = :nice:

Ditto on the MM Ford universal cable. It is a bit longer than the stock Fox one, so you can route it away from the exhaust heat. Mine is working great with the MM quadrant.

I used to have the UPR 3 hook quadrant and I'm pretty sure it contributed to the top ends of two Ford cables fraying off over the past 5 years. It was a bad fit IMO. One snapped on the freeway in light traffic, that was not fun! Especially since we have a "safe clear" program where they force you to get towed off the freeway if you break down. Back then they made you pay for it too! Luckily I got it off the freeway by my office and had my wife deliver me a new cable, so I got it back on the road without a tow bill.

My FRPP adjustable has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.....

With that said, just pick up a OEM replacement on the net.

Agreed. :nice:

I'd have given the same advice (I replaced my old Ford adjustable cable/SVO quad with a smaller single hook and OEM style cable. I kinda regret it).