3V Spark plug change hell

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by GOLDENPONY, Feb 17, 2008.

1. kooldawg6

kooldawg6 mine works really well and can take a fair amount

The way I'm going, I'll be at 100K miles in another two years:eek: So I will probably just wait unless there is a problem that arises before that mark.

2. RagtopV8

RagtopV8 New Member

3. metroplex

metroplex Member

It appears the 5.4L 3V and 4.6L 3V can use the same spark plugs. So if someone develops a 1-piece Platinum/Iridium spark plug for the 5.4L 3V V8, and assuming it is the proper heat-range, it would be compatible with the 4.6L 3V V8.

I would ONLY consider a 1-piece plug if it meets the following criteria:
    1). OEM-spec materials and quality
    2). Platinum and/or iridium electrode materials

Copper plugs do not last long and I have no intention of swapping plugs every 1-2 years. I used to run AWSFA-12C's in my 4.6L 2V and I couldn't get more than 15k miles without the center electrode wearing down so much that the gap increased. I pulled the OEM-factory AGSF-22WM iridium plugs out of the 5.4L 2V with 22k miles and they looked brand new.

4. CPman

CPman New Member

Is there a fuel additive available that could be used in a maintance capacity to keep the stock plugs clean so they are efficient for a longer period of time.

5. 88GTtom

88GTtom Member

6. GOLDENPONY

GOLDENPONY Founding Member

Plug

I just read on an F150 sight that Champion is introducing a platinum one piece design plug for the 5.4 engines. Supposedly they will begin showing up in the parts stores very soon. I wonder if the 5.4 uses the same heat range plugs as our GTs. Anybody know? I thought the heads were pretty much the same.
    Somebody on that sight is convinced Motorcraft will be bringing out a 1 piece plug too.
    Right now Ford is trying to ignore the 800 lb. gorilla in the living room, but they'll have to face it sooner or later.

7. ROUSH STANG II

ROUSH STANG II New Member

I just changed the plugs when I installed the turbo (the car has 25,000 miles). I changed the first two no problem. The third one sheared off where the plug bevels. I was about to panic, but it didn't break the insulator. I sprayed penetrating gel (Prizm brand) in the hole and moved on to the next plug. It was stuck too, so I sprayed the rest of the plugs with the lube. Waited a while...tried again and all the plugs came out effortlessly. Then I used a 1/4" ease-out to remove the broken plug. After coating the bevel with antiseize I installed the HTO's. Next time I will spray them before I attempt to remove them!!! :nice:

8. RagtopV8

RagtopV8 New Member

9. GOLDENPONY

Plugs

I'll probably be buying a set of these in a year or 2. I'll bet there will be quite a few one piece designs (including Motorcraft) by then. :nice:

10. metroplex

metroplex Member

I'm with GOLDENPONY. I'm not about to rush out and waste $80 on new plugs that I don't need right now.

11. GOLDENPONY

New Champion Plug

I see where Champion has introduced a new one piece design plug for the 3V engine (#7989). It is double platinum and being a one piece design should drastically reduce or eliminate breakage problems. The ad I saw had a price of $16.23 ea, but I'll bet they will come down. The dealer charged me $19.13 ea. for OE (POS) two piece crimped Motorcrafts.

12. ski

ski Member

Glad to hear that things worked out ok for you.
    Was your car modded with a CAI and tune when it was N/A?
    If yes, what was the tune's octane rating?
    Thanks.

13. plnfixr320

plnfixr320 New Member

The 3v 5.4 and 4.6 use the same size plugs however; the stock Mustang GT plug is one heat range colder than the stock F150 plug. I have seen the Saleen S/C kit for the truck coming with basic Mustang GT plugs. So the plugs that Champion is offering for the truck would not be a good Mustang FI plug.

14. metroplex

metroplex Member

I thought the trucks would have a colder plug? That has almost always been the case with the 5.4L 2V vs the 4.6L 2V. For example, my 03 5.4L 2V uses AGSF-22WM from the factory, while my 00 4.6L 2V used AWSF-32PP. These are the previous Motorcraft numbers that made sense.

15. ROUSH STANG II

ROUSH STANG II New Member

When I bought the car it had (20,000 miles) a Mac air filter and heat sheild that didn't require a re-tune. I had the car tuned and used an SCT programmer set on the 93 octane rating for about 5,000 miles before going FI.

16. GOLDENPONY

Spark Plug hell-Post Script

Well fellow Mustangers, I have some positive news concerning this whole ugly experience. To bring you all up to speed, I had contacted Ford when I was charged $611.13 to remove 6 broken spark plugs and install a new set. I had broken 1 and had the car taken to the dealer where 5 more were broken off by their tech. I also wrote the President of the dealership (Beechmont Ford in Cincinnati, Ohio).

I was back to the dealership today for the recent recall for the passenger air bag. While I was waiting, the head service manager came to me and presented me with a check for the full amount of the repair. As I understand it, Ford had authorized the refund. From what the service manager told me, Ford knows they have a serious problem here. I am happy to report my faith is restored, both in my dealer, and The Ford Motor Company. My Mustang and it's owner are happy again. :nice:

17. walter

walter Founding Member

Awesome so when is the recall coming up?

18. cave diver

cave diver Member

That's great news, I'm glad they took care of you :nice:

19. GOLDENPONY

Recall?

Haven't heard anything about a recall yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. Keep your ear to the ground.

20. SlideWRX

SlideWRX New Member

Well, the car is funtioning as planned, so no recall as such; it isn't something that NHTSA would pull the car soff the road for.

What's between a TSB & a recall? Customer satisfaction something-something? Depends, but sometimes they are sent to the customer to bring the car in; other times it is just addressed at the time of the repair.

Tom