4.10's and a Blower

03gtmustang

May 26, 2003
Northern Va
I know this isnt the best combination, most people go with 3.73's if they are going blown. How come most people go with 3.73's instead of 4.10's? How many people out there have 4.10's and a sc in an auto or 5 speed?

• Sponsors (?)

There are a number of reasons:

1 - Traction (already pointed out)
2 - RPMS go by TOO FAST and you don't maximize the time in the power curve.
3 - You will get better 1/4 times with the 3.73s I believe as you can now make one less shift than with the 4.10's and the power adder will ensure you take more advantage of the power curve.

Keep in mind, that as you add more and more power, you can drop your gear ratio. I have a friend who drag races with 2.73! I believe "funny cars" drag with auto's or 2 speeds (can anyone else verify that?)

just got my sub frames put in last night, so went for a test drive....

with the stock 3.27's and automatic tranny, i was able to spin the tires from a 30mph roll. from a stop, i spun the tires past 50mph before i let up. and this was with 2 passengers.

my suggestion, don't get any gear unless you have the rearend that can put the power to the ground. alot of people run slower at the track when they swap gears because they can't get traction. get a blower, then decide if you want gears or not.

Go HoTO! said:
I believe "funny cars" drag with auto's or 2 speeds (can anyone else verify that?)

I'm pretty sure funny cars and top fuel dragsters both have the same engines and drivetrain setup. They have neither an auto or a 2 speed, but rather a clutch and a rear end. The clutch slips off the line and fully locks up around half track.