4.10s installed

Sorry to change the subject, but how much should a gear change cost? The local Ford place wants $1650 to change gears on my 07. I had them change gears on my 91 5 years back and it was only $400. Is there something special they need to do???

Thanks
pt

These are ballpark figures:

About $200 for Parts - Gears, Fluid, etc.
Approximately 5 hours of Labor at whatever their rate is

$1650 is not even remotely realistic, are you sure about that? My labor was free so I don't know for sure but I think most guys I have seen here have paid between $450-$600 total for parts and labor.

• Sponsors (?)

I paid just over $500 parts and labor at a performance shop that specializes in Mustangs. There is no way I'd pay 5 hours of labor for a gear install:nono: The guy who did mine, from the time it left the floor until the time it touched back down on the floor was 45 minutes. I'd say average rates would be between $400-600 for parts and labor.

Just got my car back from the shop. I had 4.10's and a Spydershaft aluminum driveshaft installed. Cost me $300 to have both installed. Drove it around a bit then had to go back to work. Definite increase in acceleration although not as noticeable as I thought it would be. It's about 85 degrees on the East coast today. Maybe that has something to do with it cause the car always seems slower on a warm day. Supposed to be high of 60's tomorrow. Looking forward to getting on it a bit more then. Also, the mechanic said that as long as you get it installed by a reputable installer - there is no need for a break-in period on gears. :flag:

Sorry to change the subject, but how much should a gear change cost? The local Ford place wants $1650 to change gears on my 07. I had them change gears on my 91 5 years back and it was only $400. Is there something special they need to do???

Thanks
pt

Keep looking around. The shop that installed my 4.10s charges $150 and the gears are perfect. I'm actually going back to my 3.55s though, because since adding the SC the RPMs jump clear up past the power band WAY too fast.