4.10s or 3.73s, what catback, are long tubes worth it?

helty

some Ukrainian's enjoying a handjob via my credit
Mar 30, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Haha, just kidding F'krs. Knew that title would get your attention though.

Actually need some info/advice/help regarding a new 8.8. It's been almost 2 years since I was seriously involved with my car and I swear I've forgotten more about it (and mustangs in general) than I learned in the 4 years of wrenching on my own. Even considered selling the car for something more practical but I'm starting to reconsider.

Anyway, my 8.8 is shot. Whines like hell, lots of bearing play and I figured while I'm in there fixing it, I may as well beef up everything. So I looked around on-line and found the cheapest prices on a new diff, 31-splines, gears, bearings, seals etc. and the price was close to what I could maybe find a comletely built assembly for. Plus I'd have to pay somebody for labor to rebuild the current 8.8, but I know me and a few buddies could do a complete axle swap ourselves in one day. Only problem is, I forgot most of the good places to shop around to find such a thing.

I found a fully built FMS 8.8 on summit, but apparently it will only fit up to a 98 sn95. So remind me, whats the difference between a sn95 diff and a new edge (was it drum brakes?), and could it be modified to fit an 01 Bullitt? Heres the link:

Ford Racing M-4006-C373 - Ford Racing 8.8 in. Traction-Lok Rear Axle Assemblies

What are some other places to look into? I checked out Mark Williams but there complete kits are going for well over a grand if I recall. Havent checked ebay or craigslist yet.

Thanks for the help, maybe I'll decide to keep the old bitch and stick around this time.

• Sponsors (?)

Dude i got a 31 spine diff, 31 spline moser axels from Latemodel restoration and 3.73's from buyfordracing.com for like under $800, and a shop did my install in one day for under $400. That i think was pretty cheap.

Thanks for reminding me about buyfordracing.com, completely forgot about them. They have great prices on everything I need right now except for the axles but I can find them on a different site. That brings the total to $800 for parts. Guess if I can find a good shop that won't rape me on labor that would be just about the same as buying a complete assy.

Oh and I remembered the difference between the sn95's and 99-04's: axle length. It's all coming back to me. ;)

Man, where the hell have you been? Glad to hear you still have the Bullitt.
Around.

Actually moved from Little Rock to Baltimore a couple years ago. Once I got here I never really found a good group of car buddies like I had down in LR, so I gradually faded from the car scene all together. Never meant to, life just got in the way. Then a couple months ago a co-worker/friend got a new TC Cobalt and he's itching to go to the track but he's never been and asked if I'd go with him. Just thinking about beating the hell outta my car in the 1/4 gave me the itch, so here I am.

Hope to stick around this time :)

Oh, and Im just gonna go ahead and do the complete re-build and have the axle tubes welded. Thanks.

Around.

Actually moved from Little Rock to Baltimore a couple years ago. Once I got here I never really found a good group of car buddies like I had down in LR, so I gradually faded from the car scene all together. Never meant to, life just got in the way. Then a couple months ago a co-worker/friend got a new TC Cobalt and he's itching to go to the track but he's never been and asked if I'd go with him. Just thinking about beating the hell outta my car in the 1/4 gave me the itch, so here I am.

Hope to stick around this time :)

Oh, and Im just gonna go ahead and do the complete re-build and have the axle tubes welded. Thanks.

Ah, well that sucks about not finding a group of enthusiasts after the move.

Those Cobalts are quick, your buddy should have some fun at the track. But of course, you need to show him your tails...:D

Welcome back man, you may leave the car scene, but the car scene doesn't leave you.

Now wheres JasonH86...