4.6 build how high of compression can it take?

• Sponsors (?)

ok thanks 11:1 sounds good. i've read that npi heads can be worked to flow more air than worked pi heads, but i will get higher compression with the pi's so witch ones should i use (i already have a set of npi). i have to get new pistons the rods and crank are still good should i just rebuild my motor stock. everyone here hates the idea of a 5.0 swap so im done with that idea...

i wonder what everyone would think if i went a picked up an ls1 or just an old sbc

so i should put it back to gether basicly stock and sell it?

No, I think you just need to be a little more realistic with your goals and budget. If you insist on running nitrous, you should be able to get away with 100-125hp jetting without compromising the stock bottom end. If that’s acceptable to you, then I would scrap the idea of rebuilding your current engine and just buy another used short block. One out of a low mileage Explorer would suit you best at this point, because as I stated before it’s a PI engine, with an aluminum block. This route sounds like it would fit your current budget and automotive skill best and would be my personal recommendation.

If shooting for those power levels aren’t acceptable to you, then go ahead and have your stock short block rebuilt with higher compression forged set up, but either pay to have the non-PI heads ported, or scrap them altogether and pick up a set of PI castings. Either way, expect to sink at least $4,000 into your engine before all is said and done. And lets not forget you’re going to want to go over your fuel system again and spend some money on a dyno tune. You’d really hate to break an expensive forged short block because you skimped on the tuning and broke a piston because it got lean.

I would not recommend attempting to build the engine on your own, since based on the level of Modular Engine working knowledge you’ve displayed here, you’re going to get into trouble somewhere down the line. Let the pro’s handle it.