4.6L 4valve swap + Kenne Bell (technical discussion)

kirkyg

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Beaumont, TX
I've been mulling over my options in the past few weeks since i wont be able to get 4000 together to get a KB blower before i get married like i had hoped. I now am seriously considering going with getting a 2001 cobra engine and starting out with that for a build up. It will give me the ability to to have something tangible to gradually build over time or if i want i can swap it out BEFORE buildup and have a nice power gain over stock 270 rwhp or so which could tide me over for a year or so if it had to. Here are some of the issues and topics related to this, iI either need answers to or want others opinions on:

1) I know there has been some discussion of Aluminum block vs iron block before. I would be able to get a 01 low mileage engine for around 1500 most likely or cheaper if i found one at a junk yard (any suggestions on places to get them cheap?). That being said I'm concerned about getting a 2001 cobra or 03 mach engine (both being alluminum) and having problems with longetivity and strength to support the kind of power i want to put out. Wasn't the reason ford went with an iron block to strengthen it to put out the abuse that the cobra can handle?

2) What specific things will i need to consider when building it up for a kenne bell supercharger. I'm aware they are soon to finish the first test car for a 99-01 cobra setup. I want atleast a 2.2L and if possible i would like to get KB's new 2.4L. The problem is i need to know exactly what differences there are with the 01 setup and the 03 engine setup. If mounting wise the only difference is having the intercooler parts my follow up question would be where can i get the 03 cobra intercooler parts maybe even upgrading the intercooler to work better. I wish i had more hands on experience working on the 4 valve but i only have hands on with the 2 valve so i dont know the specific differences here. (if anyone has pictures to help me understand the routing of the intercooler etc. it would be much appreciated).

3) Compression...i'm thinking 8.1:1 -> 8.4:1 range. Suggestions in this area are welcome and also brand names vs price/performance for rods pistons. I'll also want a blower cam setup to take full advantage of the supercharged power in the end. But i may not do the internals until AFTER i have run the motor a while. Do the 01 cobra engines come with a cast crank or a forged crank? If not this will be an added expense.

4) Longevity. I do not care for a setup that i can't daily drive because its always stumbling, stuff falling apart and engine components exploding on me. You can get the gist of what im looking for. This car is my daily driver and will be on pump gas only.

5) What other costly parts will be involved in this swap and build-up in the future that are sometimes overlooked?

Any suggestions on the topic are welcome and i appologize for the long post.

kirkyg

• Sponsors (?)