408 guys talk to me

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I plan on getting a 408 from fordstrokers sometime soon. I am hoping for 500 hp. I was wondering what you guys ran for fuel injection. I want to run the factory computer, with a custom tune and bigger injectors, calibrated maf. I would run a 351 intake, and fuel rails. Is this do able? Anybody have this setup?

• Sponsors (?)

I plan on getting a 408 from fordstrokers sometime soon. I am hoping for 500 hp. I was wondering what you guys ran for fuel injection. I want to run the factory computer, with a custom tune and bigger injectors, calibrated maf. I would run a 351 intake, and fuel rails. Is this do able? Anybody have this setup?

you will have to run a 351 intake not would:shrug:
rails need extended fuel lines and you can use the stock rails iirc:shrug:

i would look into a specifec package at that level
ed c./ jay allen ..etc

your cam type, hydraulic/solid roller ...will be important
a stock computer is capable with a tune

This gets real simple due to the relationship that Jim and Jay have worked out. When you order the 408w from Jim, let him know that you want a custom cam from Jay as well.
Get the build sheet from Jay, and discuss with Jim and Jay.

EVERY question you have asked will be answered by these 2, and you will get every bit of performance, drivability, etc. you are looking for.

Jim can send the motor to you ready to drop in...

when you say fuel lines need to be extended what does that mean? Can I use the factory fuel lines?

351 intake lower is wider. So you'll need to extend the crossover hoses.

A Note on that.

At the 500hp Level you'll probably run into the problems i did.

First off i'm doubting stock rails will support 500hp effectively. Actually i doubt the whole mustang fuel system at this power level. When i Built my motor i noticed my fuel pressure actually drop when i revved the motor. (Injectors were letting fuel out faster than the factory fuel lines could get it there) and i was using aftermarket rails with factory feed lines.

Just food for thought. If you don't believe me take a look at the fuel line on a Factory 500hp car next time you visit a car show...then compare it to the line on your mustang.

Just don't start piggy backing fuel pumps on the fuel lines thats the size of a Mc Donalds milk shake straw.

Oh and on the intake....i hope you don't mean a truck intake. If you want that 500hp you need the 90mm trickflow R intake. you have a 408....don't get anything smaller. Heck you may even find yourself mildly porting the trickflow intake to fit a Accufab 105mm throttle body. I use a 90mm on my 383 with a box intake and Ed Curtis says theres nothing wrong with it. You can go with a Spider intake that has the injector holes....then get a elbow on top. I like the trickflow setup, it looks like a massive factory efi setup.

I say Build it yourself. I noticed the kit doesnt include everything Aeromotive says you would need (like a second filter). Also i cant justify $500 on a gas tank. I bought a new replacement gas tank...drilled holes in the rear and had a sump welded on. Paid $90 for the tank and $35 for the sump with AN-10 fittings.

Either way with that much displacement making that much power....you will need to upgrade the fuel system.

Below is my fabbed up Sump system. After i primed and painted it flat black with engine paint.
A year later and still no issues. To save cash i used the factory fuel feed line as a return line.

Another thing is Aeromotive wants you to connect each rail to each side of the regulator. Some of these kits have you cap off one rail and balance off fuel between rails in the Y fitting. and the return is on one rail. I don't like it that way personally. So thats not how its set up in my pics.

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0672.jpg

PICT0676.jpg

I say Build it yourself. I noticed the kit doesnt include everything Aeromotive says you would need (like a second filter). Also i cant justify $500 on a gas tank. I bought a new replacement gas tank...drilled holes in the rear and had a sump welded on. Paid $90 for the tank and $35 for the sump with AN-10 fittings.

Do you have more info or pics on your setup? I am interested in how you did it.

heres a little update. I did some research and talked to a company. They told me to go with the Ford Racing pump, which is good till 540 N/A hp. The pump is a direct replacement for the stock pump. They also will sell me the adapter pieces so I can run this pump into 6an braided lines. Anybody use this pump?

heres a little update. I did some research and talked to a company. They told me to go with the Ford Racing pump, which is good till 540 N/A hp. The pump is a direct replacement for the stock pump. They also will sell me the adapter pieces so I can run this pump into 6an braided lines. Anybody use this pump?

You can get 540hp worth of fuel threw a stock fuel line? Hmm never knew. Ahhh well i like shiny parts:nice:

What I am saying is with this pump, it is a direct drop in to the tank. Then I can hook up to 6an fittings, with the adapters, which should hold my power. It seems like a less expensive alternative to the aeromotive stuff.