5.0. H.O. rebuild

IntenseBlue

Jul 10, 2005
I've got the tranny out of my car and it's just an engine now. I've got a T5Z. Need a King Cobra clutch, and a few other transmission related parts. The motor has low oil pressure readings, around 25psi warm and sometimes, rarely, will fall to zero when the gas is let off of. I'm thinking it's bearings. If I'm gonna yank the motor, I'm gonna go ahead and replace the rings in this 150k mile beast. :D What kind of prices am I looking at for this? They won't be doing any motor pulling. Just the disassembly and ring/bearing replacement.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are just doing a quick and dirty job then do it yourself. You just need the kit, some carb or brake cleaner and maybe borrow a cylinder hone.

A simple Haynes or Chilton's manual can guide you through the steps and provide torque specs and what not.

IntenseBlue said:
All I want is to have new rings/bearings put in it.
Best laid plans.I hope you have better luck than I did.When I got mine apart the cylinders were out of round so I had them bored .030 over so i added boring costs from the machine shop plus new pistons:the connecting rods were on their last legs so they needed to be redone etc.I decided to do it right the first time and it got more expensive than I initially planned.On the other hand,in the long run I will be ahead and I won't have nagging doubts because of short cuts.

I hope it's not as bad as yours was. I doubt it will be, though. It just has low oil pressure. Doesn't smoke or anything. I think the bearings have gone south, and if I'm gonna take it out then I'm gonna re-ring it also just for personal satisfaction.

i just got done with my first engine rebuild. just followed instructions from a few different sources. its pretty easy, just need to take your time. my block had 110k on it, just threw bearings and a rering/hone at it. it screws now!!:nice:

yeah, i alreday had all the mods in my sig except for the heads, so when i rebuilt it i did the heads and all the bearings etc.. lots of power now. the only tricky part was the cam bearings. i needed to buy the driver that was $200 to replace them, but I figure to use it much more in the future. Beats going to the machine shop evey time.