5.0 haters.. 5.0 reputation

or stiffen your own chassis, ie- subframe connectors, weld up, stiffen, control arm boxes. that alone could cost 100-400 dollars. do it yourself, 60 bucks(if you have a welder and can get good prices on steel)

The fox mustang is (IMO) the best car out there for performance. These cars are 3400 pounds MAX!!! Honda accords weigh in around 2700 pounds..... Spend 1-1.5k and run low 12's. There is no replacement for displacement. "there is no replacement for displacement, except for my turbo" I read that in someones profile on some forum. This is absolutely true expect when that displacement has a turbo too.:) :owned: Dont get me wrong, there are some fast "2 liter" cars out there, and I plan on buidling one this summer (not a honda, it has a ford badge on it:D), but if you put a turbo i-4 against a turbo v-8, 9 times out of 10 that v-8 is gonna walk that i4 like it was a legless chihuahua.

I make the same WHP on my t62 on 10psi's as my friend in his s2000 with a 72mm on 20psi's...
I've heard the too.." the replacement for displacement is my Turbo" but they forget that we have turbo's too... the looks i get on the highway when the "4 door sadans" pull next to me and hear my turbo spool up/ and the BOV is just priceless

• Sponsors (?)

I was going to do a twin turbo on the coupe... now just doing the supercharger thing... don't need to run in the 10's anymore lol (Just think that a coupe should be in the 10's for some reason - all business).

I bought my car as a toy to wrench on and a never ending project that fits into my budget. Its also hella easy to work on, which is great since I'm not the most mechanically abled.

I really don't care if its the coolest or fastest. Thats a battle I will always lose anyway.
Very well put. Although I buy mine's with the intention of driving them daily, I feel pretty much the same way. I've gotten to know these cars so well and most items are such a cheap fix, it's hard to let go of. My '92 has bone stock brakes/suspension/tires and let me tell you, it is through sheer experience that I am able to keep up with some not-so-fast newer cars. lol The way the front end raises through turns I'm waiting for it to get up on 3 wheels. :rlaugh: The beauty of it of course is that I doesn't take much money to change that.

25thMustang, I agree about the DD thing. I've daily driven Foxes for about oh, 18 years now. I generally have the attitude that they "get the job done". Plus I just love driving them. Well, my wife went out of town recently so I had the keys to her 4Runner (04 Limited) for two weeks. I don't care much for 4Runners but that s--t was real nice to be driving to work every day. Blasting A/C, ride is much smoother and quieter, smooth v8, huge electronic sunroof and a few other minor details. Inevitably though, at some point I'd end up wishing I was in the Mustang. What I didn't care for was sitting up so high. I know compared to most trucks a 4Runner is that big but I was seriously taking my time manuevering that thing. Its just too big and bulky for me.

I doubt that I'll be buying anything soon because I always talk myself out of it. I'm looking hard at the new Charger (Hemi) though. They aren't the best looking cars but I've driven one and it was everything I could want in a new DD (basically the same advantages as the 4Runner but with infinitley better handling lol). Of course, an SRT-8 would be even sweeter.

I know this thread is crazy old but I'm just seeing it now for the first time. I don't own a fox, but I do have a 5.0 Mustang (95 GT) and have been around Mustangs in general for a decent amount of time. Honestly, I do think the reason that the import guys hate 5.0's are because we've been pretty much their biggest competition (in their minds) for the longest time. Most times when I hear an import guy brag about beating or being better than a certain car, it is usually Mustangs that they ripping on. 5.0 Mustangs are IMO, one of the best muscle cars ever produced. I think they have a perfect mix of somewhat newer updated styling, but while still retaining the old school feel of a pushrod v8 muscle car. And as far as comparing 5.0 cars to today's $50,000+ 400 hp monsters, that is neither here nor there. The last 5.0 Mustang was made 12 years ago and for thier time, were not at all slow. Stock 5.0 cars with simple bolt-ons can easily sqeek into the 13's and some have even gone deep into the 13's and some into the 12's on stock motors. Even in today's world, thats pretty impressive if you ask me, and I promise that these cars will not being going away for a long time to come. What do you think the chances are that 20+ years from now, people will still be restoring/racing/daily driving Civics, Neons, WRX's, etc. Regardless of what some ricers will say, our cars have a heritage that most cars could only dream of. I LOVE 5.0 Mustangs. There's just something about the sound of a camming 5.0 through some two-chamber flowmasters that just gets my blood pumping, not to mention one that also happens to have a nice Vortech S-trim on it. :hail2: Music to my ears!! But anyway, although I do appreciate the new cars and respect them, I've had the most fun driving experiences of my life in old, outdated, "slow" 5.0 Mustangs. :nice:

oh man this hits close to home. When I was growing up my dad had 2 69 mach 1's one an original 428 4 speed cobra jet car . the other one was a 351 car .
My mom also had a 66gt . I was lucky that I was born into a mustang family . My moms dd was an 86gt ( t-toped car ) that she totaled when a drunk driver ran her off the road and she put it over a 25 foot embankment. ( my dad still misses that car ) I was born in 79 , as a 16 year old my 1st car was a 66 mustang with a 302 and a c4 , it was fun but one night I told my dad that I really wanted a ttop 5.0 gt , my dad was a VA dealer so a couple months later he brought home a 88 gt with the sunroof it was white ( my fav color ) . that he purchased at a salvage auction it was hit hard in the front . I ll never forget the night i saw that car and was told it was mine ( i loved it even though it did not have t - tops) , I slept in it that nite in a sleeping bag in the drivers side seat ( it was december) . My dad , my younger brother and myself rebuilt that car and I love it , I grew up in that car and still have it and will always have it .
I left high school everyday sideways and banging gears down the highway , I am lucky i survived my teenage and early 20's driving that car .
anyways I now have an 89gt to go along with the 88gt . I use them both as DD and date cars and vacation cars and everything else . The fox mustang is the only car I know . When I do drive something else I feel out of place and start missing my GT . The fox just feels like a musclecar , The fox does not try and hide it or cover it up with fancy dash lights or multiple cup holders , it is what the mustang was intended to be , a good horsepowered sporty and fun to drive car that looks good doing whatever you want to do with it . How many other cars can look right at home at the car show , the road course , the dragstrip and your driveway ??? NONE - long live the fox a car that makes no excuses and no apologys for what it is ..... as the old commercial said mustang for those who want more out of life than just a little peace and quiet...... ( by the way my dad sold his mach 1's last summer to buy an 07 f350 king ranch and a 5th wheel camper that he and my mom have retired in and now travel everywhere ... last weekend while we were working on my 89 he told me last summer was the worst time of his life that he cant believe he sold his cars ...if I ever get the chance those cars will come home someday )

I like foxbodies because they are FUN! Light, V8, RWD, manual gearbox :)

They are also:

- Good looking (IMO). I love the clean "squared" look. That was what really made me start liking them.

- Great sound. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I've heard them mentioned along side Ferraris when it comes to sound effects.

- Reliable. From my experience they run and run if you just change the oil.

- Not expensive to buy, insure or pay taxes on.

- Huge aftermarket and used parts selection with good prices.

- Easy to work on (compared to most cars). A great car for a young person to get experience wrenching on.

- Cheap to maintain

- The large fan base is a great resource.

- Classic. Not in the '57 Chevy sense, but they were VERY popular during their era.

- Decent gas mileage. I can easily average mid 20s in a city/highway mix.

Granted, they are no Corvette, but they are fun cars.

Foxbody mustangs are the underdog of the v8 cars these days, thats why its so much fun to throw mods at them and mop the floor with everyone else. They are far from the best cars out there and anyone who cant accept that is just lying to themselves. They are a ton of fun, I love mine to death and will never sell it, but I know that I started out as the underdog of the v8's. But I love being the underdog because you get that much more respect when you come out on top of these cars people are making payments on =)

On top of everything else, people still want to race us and brag when they beat us! No one realizes that our cars in stock form are quite slow by todays standards and the technology dates back to the 60's, but everybody and their brother still wants to beat a five-oh mustang! They continue to be some sort of benchmark to this day.

I don't care what anyone says. I love my fox and there's nothing anybody can say to change that.

Mines completely stock except for some blowmasters and pony wheels, but it is fun as hell to drive. Even if my day completely sucks I climb into my fox and squeal the tires and smile.

I love my fox.

gets a bid annoying trying to prove your faster than everybody else. always tryin to prove yourself to some twit

That reminds me, yesterday from work some ricer in a flat black Colt or something was revving behind me and following me too close... I get fed up and from a roll, maybe going only 45km/h, I hit the gas pretty hard and got sideways down the street. That little riced out POS stayed away from me after that. :lol: I don't know many cars that can pull sideways from a roll like that lol

That reminds me, yesterday from work some ricer in a flat black Colt or something was revving behind me and following me too close... I get fed up and from a roll, maybe going only 45km/h, I hit the gas pretty hard and got sideways down the street. That little riced out POS stayed away from me after that. :lol: I don't know many cars that can pull sideways from a roll like that lol

We have some FAST Colts around here. I mean 11s and 12s that would laugh at 14 second Mustangs. We also have (I beleieve it went 10.8) a DSM swapped Hyundai Elantra. Yes a beat up old Elantra with a bigger fart tip on it that will hook on the street and go low 11s high 10s. There is a lot of fast DSMs around here, and even a good amount of fast STIs (like some of the fastest in the country from what I have been told, they go after friends KBed 03 Cobras).

bah around here even fox Mustang averages 15's... Not many fast cars out here. Even if the guy in the colt had a 10 second ride, doesn't give him the right to tailgate. Besides FWD fast anything is pretty stupid to me... I've had a faster FWD before, and was able to spin the wheels from a roll. I hated that for the life of me. I almost took the ditch with that thing. If I get bored with RWD V8's it will be a Subaru STi or one of those Foresters with the STi engine :lol: Now THAT, my friend, is a sleeper :D

I love my fox and wouldn't sell it for anything. I love the looks , the sound , just pretty much everything about it . Are they the best built cars ? No But I still love them. When I drive my mom's '04 GT it's got a nice ride , nicer interior , and has a little quieter cabin . But when I drive my fox I like the harsh ride , the exhaust ressonace in the cabin , and the simple look of the interior . Plus they are still great bang for your buck and fun as anything drive. Long Live The Fox !:D

San Dimas High School football rules!!

billandted460.jpg

We have some FAST Colts around here. I mean 11s and 12s that would laugh at 14 second Mustangs. We also have (I beleieve it went 10.8) a DSM swapped Hyundai Elantra. Yes a beat up old Elantra with a bigger fart tip on it that will hook on the street and go low 11s high 10s. There is a lot of fast DSMs around here, and even a good amount of fast STIs (like some of the fastest in the country from what I have been told, they go after friends KBed 03 Cobras).

Yea that Elantra is nasty, looks like a junker plain old ricer. From what Iam told he raced that 900-1000 awhp evo and won, but thats through the grapevine...I dont know if you've seen it but theres a pretty wicked white sti that Ive seen in the hartford area and the pike.

But why? The Cobra wouldn't waste the gas, would he? All the old posts in this thread addressed this very thing- junk launched like the space shuttle is still junk, and should be treated accordingly. A proper Mustang is above all that.