5.0 question

• Sponsors (?)

Its a fender off an 88 Mustang and is an original Ford part.You are right about repro fenders, i tried one off a diff parts car that was a made in taiwan fender(it was only one i had at the time:nono:) and it didnt fit properly.It stuck up higher than the nose section where fender/nose and hood meet.It took me maybe 1-2 hours to remove old fender and put new one on then line it up properly, it fit perfect all body lines match up.You can reach in behind headlights thru engine compartment/front area and remove the 4 or 5, 11mm nuts with a small ratchet/socket. 3, 8mm across the top in engine comp, 1 in door jam area behind driver door and 1, 8mm at the bottom between wheel well and drivers door.The 3 screws holding the inner fender can be accessed with the wheel removed.Just carefully wriggle it off the front studs and lift it out and backwards to rear of car more or less.
As long as its American its all good:nice: itd be a lonely drive with no Camaro's,Challengers ,Corvettes etc for competition.:D
Ive had pretty much my entire car apart now, completely gutted the interior to mop up the antifreeze( previous owner shinanigans again), entire dash was out to replace heater core,i pulled engine and tranny one friday night just to wash the engine down of all the grime ( and repaint) and to fit new engine mounts for BBK headers and complete exhust.Its all back together no rattles squeaks, runs excelent-much to my own astonishment:D

Who makes the best reproduction parts? LateModelRestoration?
The thing with junker parts is that in that 20 year period the chances are the part was damaged somehow or is affected just sitting in the junk yard to rust.
The reproduced/aftermarket parts are all brand new.:nice:

Yes, the typical price for a decent condition Fox in CA is anywhere from 3-5k. The trick is finding a decent condition fox for sale. A lot of the foxes you see in the ads are in very rough condition.

BTW Are you looking to buy a new Fox? I thought you were going to have your car fixed.

It's my brother's car and he left it for me to care for while he is in the service.
We are looking both ways fixing vs. finding but since he is the original owner for the last 21 years that means alot even though the car has 223,000 miles on it and needs a hood, fender, headlights with header panel. I am making a bet that he will keep this one and fix it instead of trying to find another one because all of the ones on sale are in bad shape. There doesn't seem to be much available at all for sale especially here in California.:shrug:

In that case I would suggest finding another car. Having a Salvage car sucks imo.

Take whatever good parts you can from your car and then sell it for parts. The insurance money plus the money from the sale of your car should be able to get you a decent Fox. Maybe this time around you can get an '88 T-Top. :nice:

No low ball pay off or salvage. They aren't going to get with one of those transactions to . They can't force me to do anything infact We can still keep the car and just get it fixed but then drop the full coverege to Liability insurance .

Yeah but then you have to pay out of your pocket to have it fixed which in turn, defeats the purpose of having full coverage.

If we had already known this that the insurance company puts a low value and total on this car we would have had only liability insurance but in this case we have full coverage and will now change to liability since we know they don't pay what it is worth and to take advantage of having the full coverage (RIGHT NOW) the car is either turned in for a measly $2,100:notnice: or bought back with salvage title and $1,500 back:notnice::mad:

You definitely have one bad a$$ car but imo you should have invested all of your money and time into a car with a clean title. The fact is Salvage vehicles, no matter the extent of the damage (if any) are worth considerably less than a clean title car. It is also one of those things that potential buyers try to avoid like the flu. Now I understand that you are probably not going to sell your car in the near future but its always good to know that you can sell your car easily if times get rough (hence buying a clean title car).

In the end, there are way too many project worthy Foxes with clean titles to justify building up a Salvage car. Of course if the car in question was a 67-68 Shelby GT500 it would be a whole different issue. Just my .02.

makes no difference because i keep all my cars, i dont sell them off for new ones, next car is a termi and you can bank im keeping my fox, had i wanted a clean DD i woulda went with a clean title but since this is a purpose built car for going fast on a track and will probably be damaged sometime in its life i dont mind its a salvage title

there is a difference in salvage titles as well obviously that car is far beyond repair, my clean title fox was involved in a major accident at some time, and my salvage title car was stolen at some point, and what does any of this have to do with my training, im just saying for cars this old and common you cant go by the title alone

I know it sucks but unfortunately thats all you can do. Even if you tried sueing the insurance company you'd have hard time proving to the judge that the car is worth more than $2,100.

I think what will happen is that we will drop the full coverage (to Liability)knowing now what they will pay out but then get it fixed on our own and find a body shop to do it. Because the insurance company didn't pay out any $$$ the insurance rate won't go up because of this.:shrug:

True, but i'd still go with the clean title car. You can't expect the average buyer to have the same thinking as you. 9 times out of 10 when people see a Salvage car for sale they walk away. If I was investing several thousands of dollars in a car I would feel more comfortable in putting it into a clean title car even if didn't plan on selling it but thats just me.:shrug: To each his own. :nice:

im nto saying i jumped into haphazardly it was salvagee from being stolen, truth is if you see most track cars for sale they mostly have salvage titles because they are ment to be driven and not worry about what they can get for them later

Back to the original guys question. 2,900 seems pretty fair. I owned a fox when i was 16-18 I'm now 20. If its in good condition its worth it. I bought mine for 2k 103k miles and a dent in the quarter panel. When i sold it I got 2,800 for it after only spending maybe 300 bucks in touch up paint and a lot of hours cleaning it. Clean title foxes are in demand if their not beat to hell. The guy I sold it to wanted to put a 347 stroker into it.

Be warned it will get lose on you if your not easy on the gas. They slide extremely easy even if the roads aren't wet. If your responsible you should be ok. Good luck:nice:

i thought sn 95 means 94-04? not just the 94-98s. my fox was taken care of and its never given me a lick of trouble its got 105k and doesn't burn any oil or anything. my friends have cars with 116, 132ish and they all burn oil and stuff. just gotta take care of what you got. even doing a head cam intake on a 150k mile 5.0 doesent scare me, do it. just dont beat the hell out of it (over revving, missing oil changes, ect) they are made to go and they dont mind doing it.

check for rust too, and talk to the owner about his beliefs in takin care of cars. if he says something like i change my oil ever 10k because i use castrol syntec, skip that car. take the oil cap off and look in there, if it looks not terrible and he says he changes his oil allot do it. check other fluids. just use your head.

Back to the original guys question. 2,900 seems pretty fair. I owned a fox when i was 16-18 I'm now 20. If its in good condition its worth it. I bought mine for 2k 103k miles and a dent in the quarter panel. When i sold it I got 2,800 for it after only spending maybe 300 bucks in touch up paint and a lot of hours cleaning it. Clean title foxes are in demand if their not beat to hell. The guy I sold it to wanted to put a 347 stroker into it.

Be warned it will get lose on you if your not easy on the gas. They slide extremely easy even if the roads aren't wet. If your responsible you should be ok. Good luck:nice:

:nice: very true even more so when it is wet or dew on the road.:eek: