5.0 Stock Block

swaftom

Mar 27, 2006
How much power can the stock block safely handle? I would consider both N/A, and a supercharged application if that makes a difference. I was hoping to make in the realm of 450-500fwhp, but am considering a supercharger to maybe make 550-600fwhp. Thank you for any information.

• Sponsors (?)

There is no set number. Most feel that 400-500 is it. Some have gone way over with a stock block and not split it. In my opinion, rpms make a difference as well as if you are putting a blower on. The rpms for obvious reasons and the blower because of front loading the crank. To get to 450-500 hp on a streetable motor, you are pretty much going to have to go the power adder route.
Do you plan on using a stock bottom end, or are you going to put together a stroker?

The figure 500rwhp has been banded around but I know of some stock blocks still living with a little over that while I've also heard of blocks splitting with less.
Avoiding detonation and properly balancing the bottom end are probably the key to a longer block life.

:search:

Building it right can give you a little extra insurance. The Mexican blocks are said to be good up to 700 HP, due to the higher Ni content, but that is up to you.

Bottom line: if you feel that you're close enough to ask, you are already past it.