5 lug disc questions

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
Going this week to strip a donor car. I have a weird after market tubular k-member that narrowed my front width by 1", so I am going to use 99+ spindles that are supposed to widen wheel width by 3/4", from what I've read. Should put me back close to stock width. Also, I'm going to use standard fox length axles, which are being upgraded to 31 spline. The donor car is a 2004 V6 (brakes are supposed to be the same as GT?). The guy parting it out is going to let me have all the braking components, including master cylinder and booster, for $180. I thought this was a steal so I'm pretty excited.

My questions:
1) All the write ups I see refer to using 94-95 master cylinders and brake boosters...so, can I use the 04 stuff? If so, is there anything special I need to know about it, or do they all install the same way with no special considerations? (I believe they are "hydraboost")
2) I'm driving an hour to strip this car, probably a half day job. Does anyone know off the top of their head what size wrenches I need for the brake lines? I have a few, but they are all for the fox body lines, just want to make it as smooth as possible.
3) I have come across the mention of a mod involving swapping the rear caliper brackets and modifying them in a way that allows fox length axles (I know you can buy the $150 aftermarket brackets). Can anyone point me in the direction of a detailed write up on how to do this?

Anything else I should know before going? I know to get soft lines and anti-moan brackets...what about parking brake cable? I've read you can modify stock cable to work.....don't know for sure.

Thanks for any and all help, as always!
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

The V6 MC and booster should work just fine for you. Afterall that setup was used on the V6 cars with the same base PBR calipers and rear brakes as the GTs. And the V6 is not hydroboost, but a regular brake system. As for the booster, there are two styles, one has a straight arm for the brake pedal, the other has a curved arm. The curved arm one works better on Fox cars since the Fox one is curved. I've read that the straight one can bind. You will still have to elongate the holes to mount the booster on the firewall since the bolts are positioned differently.

The thread on the cut brackets is located on corral:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...es-rear-disk-swap-w-modified-sn-brackets.html

I know several people that have done this mod and it works great. Sorry I don't know about the wrench sizes for sure, but I just checked the brake lines from a 96 that I have in storage (planning on doing ABS in the future) and they are all 10mm, 11mm, 12mm and 13mm brake line fittings.

The V6 MC and booster should work just fine for you. Afterall that setup was used on the V6 cars with the same base PBR calipers and rear brakes as the GTs. And the V6 is not hydroboost, but a regular brake system. As for the booster, there are two styles, one has a straight arm for the brake pedal, the other has a curved arm. The curved arm one works better on Fox cars since the Fox one is curved. I've read that the straight one can bind. You will still have to elongate the holes to mount the booster on the firewall since the bolts are positioned differently.

The thread on the cut brackets is located on corral:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...es-rear-disk-swap-w-modified-sn-brackets.html

I know several people that have done this mod and it works great. Sorry I don't know about the wrench sizes for sure, but I just checked the brake lines from a 96 that I have in storage (planning on doing ABS in the future) and they are all 10mm, 11mm, 12mm and 13mm brake line fittings.

what trbkrb said. 1/2 inch breaker bar. be sure to get all the little things.... the c clips for the parking brake cable, save every bolt, lug nuts ect...

Hey guys,

Thanks to both. trbkrb, just picking apart the info you provided...are the front rotors smaller on a V6 car vs. a GT? Thanks for looking at the wrench sizes for me. Keep any good info coming!

Joe

The only things different between the brakes on V6 and GT cars is the hydroboost MC & booster on the 96-04 GTs.

Oh, and get the brackets to hold the ebrake cables to the control arms if your control arms are stock. Since you have a 93, yes you can probably use the cables from the 04 also, as they hook up the same way as the 93 cars.