5-lug MC Question

rclifton

Oct 6, 2008
North Carolina
I have done the 5-lug install 96 front calipers and 88 thundbird rears< now brake pedal is too soft.... I have orderd the proportioning valve for rear(not installled yet)....Ok hears what my questions are? Why the 3-2 conversion and should the 93 cobra MC be good enough< I heard the 96 MC will make my pedal to stiff>:shrug:

Any help woud be nice

• Sponsors (?)

I have done the 5-lug install 96 front calipers and 88 thundbird rears< now brake pedal is too soft.... I have orderd the proportioning valve for rear(not installled yet)....Ok hears what my questions are? Why the 3-2 conversion and should the 93 cobra MC be good enough< I heard the 96 MC will make my pedal to stiff>:shrug:

Any help woud be nice

3 to 2 conversion because the stock fox mc has 3 hardlines, and the newer mc only accepts 2 lines. as far as the 2nd question, i dont know the answer, im sure someone else will...

Prop valve installs on the brake line on the firewall. TRace it across to the passenger side, and you'll see a brass union. Remove the union and it goes there. You will also need the Ford Racing prop valve plug for the front of the stock PV.

As to which MC to use....

You have a unique combo that did not show on any factory setup.

96 front calipers are 66mm pistons, rear t-bird calipers are 45mm units. The 94-98 Mustang uses a 1 1/16" MC with the 38mm pistons. Using the 45mm rears will require a slightly larger MC.

So your two options are:

94-95 GT.V6 1 1/16" MC
84-86 SVO 1 1/8" MC.

For a starting point, i'd prob use the 94-95 GT MC and keep the stock booster in place. You'll have to decide how you like the feel and adjust from there.

Brake line fittings sizes

I installed the prop valve today..fits good!!!! Can I use the brass connector from the rear brake lines to find the fittings for the 3-2 conversion???? Are the 1/8 brake fittings??? I know I need a "t" and "union"<plan to reuse the brass coupler from the prop valve install>...What sizes do I need???? any help is appricated

ALSO WHY CAN"T I REUSE FORD PLUG WHEN GUTTING FACTORY PROB BLOCK OF SPRING & PLUNGER?????

3-2 Conversion ?????

When doing the 3-2 conversion does it matter where the line merge or where they connect... I know on the maxium motorsports kit the merge up top around the MC, and on other kits the "T fitting" is on the bottom of the form prop block. Does it matter where I merge the lins and connect them???

About to be done guys just be patient... I ain't no baller this is a work in progress, I GOT 2 PROJECTS GOING AT ONCE

I just gutted the brake lines on my car and ran new. I have a 95V6 MC, 01 front calipers, 86SVO rears. front brakes are T'd together, going to the rear port on the MC, rear brakes are T'd together going to the Front through a Wilwood Prop valve. car stops NOW.

Just trying to give you another idea.

Aight...Think I'm going to use the "T" fitting to combine the front lines into 1 and use the MC front port, then use the rear port for the rear breakes with the wilwood prop valve(already in place). Then just do away with the org. FORD prop block!!!!!! Don't c y I WOULD EVEN NEED THE ORG BLOCK IF EVERYONE GUTS IT ANYWAY?????:shrug:

Aight...Think I'm going to use the "T" fitting to combine the front lines into 1 and use the MC front port, then use the rear port for the rear breakes with the wilwood prop valve(already in place). Then just do away with the org. FORD prop block!!!!!! Don't c y I WOULD EVEN NEED THE ORG BLOCK IF EVERYONE GUTS IT ANYWAY?????:shrug:

Just make sure te front and rear brakes remained isolated after the MC.

The reason many leave the combo valve is because it contains the prop valve and a shuttle valve that acts as a safety valve. Many say it's only for drum brakes, but the SN95 prop valve contains the same exact rear shuttle valve. The idea is in addition to the MC, it helps restrict flow to the leaking brake.

Does it work?? who knows

I did my 3-2 conversion very simply. I got a brake line and fitting from an SN95 prop valve. Easy and clean.

Maximum motorsports does sell a kit for $30 or so. Might seem pricey, but after you spend the time searching out the fittings, you might think back and figure it was easier to order it and be done with it

Aight wilwood prop valve installed on passanger side rear brake line. got the "t" fitting from o reilly for 8$.. going to pull-a-part(junkyard) to get the sn95 MC friday for 20$...... THIS PROJECT IS DONE!!!!!!!!

LOL....think I should order the braided rear brake lines to match the front...or are rear less involved anyways...They are 88 thunderbird anyways...prob run into problems ordering them???

I don't know if you are all set with your valve, but for mine I used a 96 prop. valve, gutted it, removed the rubber plug from the valve plug and tapped some threads on it and plugged it. then put an adjustable one on the firewall. That way it looks all stock and neat and no need for a T because the newer valve acts as one. I haven't heard of anyone doing it my way but it works great for me so i just wanted to put it out there. hope it helps...