5 lug swap...double checking.

ryan218

In just 10 years, I'll be old enough to drive!!!!
Dec 28, 2005
columbus ohio
after pricing out how cheap it can be to do a 5 lug swap ie decided im going to do it so that i can use 17 by 8 bullets......

this is so far what i have got that ive pulled from sn95 brakes...just double checking this before i start buying the wrong stuff for it..

Drive side ranger axles..(2)
i could just buy new drums if i wanted to right?
94-98 spindle hub assembly.

i think im forgetting something but i don't know what...

i did a quick chop that doesn't look so hot of what my car will look like...minus the cage...by spring.

326116_89_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Ranger axles will do the job. Don't forget the appropriate calipers, banjo bolts, rotors, bolts and lines for the front. Why not go rear disc? You're already going through most the trouble by replacing the axles. It's not much more to do discs, except installation of the 3-2 conversion and adjustable prop valve.

Ranger axles will do the job. Don't forget the appropriate calipers, banjo bolts, rotors, bolts and lines for the front. Why not go rear disc? You're already going through most the trouble by replacing the axles. It's not much more to do discs, except installation of the 3-2 conversion and adjustable prop valve.

money is the biggest factor:( id like to see if i can keep this under 800 using used parts with wheels and tires...i think i could find a set of bullets for around 400 maybe cheaper

IMO you're going to be better off to take the extra months of saving and do it. Look around hard enough and you'll find a deal. I got entire rear setup for $125. Cobra axles for 50 and then takeoff disc setup w/brackets, calipers and pads for 75. The deals are out there. When that's all said and done it won't cost much more than the Ranger axles most likely, and then all there is to get is about $70 for the rear disc conversion stuff for under the hood. I understand you're young and probably aren't making much $$, but if for about $100 extra you can do it up...why not?

I say this because I know you're real passionate about your cars and probably plan to keep them for a while. I'd expect you would want the best you could get :nice:

watch out for deals that are too good to be true. I bought a set of 96 spindles/hubs that came with 99 pbr calipers for $200. when I got them the hubs were frozen cause some ass hat pried the cover off and couldnt get them to seal again and the boots on the calipers were melted from some hard core stopping. I turned the calipers in as cores so for another 120 I got shiney new calipers and I had to get new hubs as 66 a pop. that's not counting all the little washers and fittings.
not to sound discouraging, but dont go into it with a money is an issue attitude. It will most likely cause issues that will slow down your build.dont be afraid to spend the money up front for quality pieces. drop some flow on a decent set of 4 lug wheels until you can save for a decent 4 disc swap.

my next pay check is in 2 weeks..there's a 94 gt that a guy local to me is parting out...i think maybe ill go out there and take a look at the stuff and see what he is asking....

with doing the rear disc though dont i need to run new brake lines?

They should be on the calipers if he's parting out a car. Other than that there's a distribution line that goes to the center of the axle housing. It bolts right onto the one on your Fox too. IF you end up having to buy one of those (as I did because the one I got was cut) it's only $17 or so from the store.

Regarding doing the drums now and rear disc later, if you're stingy like me you'll rather wait longer and do it once/do it right because at the end of the day you'll end up doing it twice and spending more to do so. Why throw money away over time?

They should be on the calipers if he's parting out a car. Other than that there's a distribution line that goes to the center of the axle housing. It bolts right onto the one on your Fox too. IF you end up having to buy one of those (as I did because the one I got was cut) it's only $17 or so from the store.

Regarding doing the drums now and rear disc later, if you're stingy like me you'll rather wait longer and do it once/do it right because at the end of the day you'll end up doing it twice and spending more to do so. Why throw money away over time?

that's kinda what I had in mind..doing the drums now to keep the cost down and then doing disc later when i do gears.. :shrug: guess it all depends on what i can find when i have the cash...id like to have everything gathered and start converting it by the end of summer...

I know you went with the black interior but that color would look badass with the white leather interior.

i agree BUT did you ever see what my interior looked like before? it was 100% blue...faded and beyond being able to be brought back without re dyeing the same color...and ive always wanted a black interior so this gave me a reason.

I got entire rear setup for $125. Cobra axles for 50 and then takeoff disc setup w/brackets, calipers and pads for 75.

Did you have to upgrade your booster as well? I've heard 2 different stories with boosters.
#1 - The stock booster is fine
#2 - Using the stock booster makes the brake pedal feel hard as a rock.
I haven't gone to rear discs in the back for that reason alone...I don't know who to believe, and from what I understand, you can't get a 94+ booster installed in our cars without taking a baseball bat to the strut tower. That sounds like a major PITA to me.

Just get a '93 Cobra booster. Virtually the same performance as a Sn95 booster, but minus the sledgehammering of the strut tower.

You SHOULD change the booster out.

I used a 94-95 V6 booster in my car. Installation wasn't that bad, but i had the intake and valve cover off

Did you have to upgrade your booster as well? I've heard 2 different stories with boosters.
I haven't gone to rear discs in the back for that reason alone...I don't know who to believe, and from what I understand, you can't get a 94+ booster installed in our cars without taking a baseball bat to the strut tower. That sounds like a major PITA to me.

uh...i guess ill stay drums in the rear..ive had a few people tell me that now... and thats the last thing i want to do...

Arron about how much did you cost you to swap over with buying the wheels?

you use ranger axle's as well? or a SN95 rear end?

I used Ranger axles (well, actually mine were passenger Aerostar axles....same thing) and 94 spindles, hubs, etc.

So...lets see:

Brand new Bullets with brand new tires (they were pulls off a new Mustang) $900 including shipping off ebay.
Front spindles, hubs, calipers, rotors, pads, etc (everything down to brake lines) $200.
Rear axles $40.00
Brake line adapter - not much, but can't exactly remember
New Ranger drums - can't exacty remember those either
Brake fluid
I think that was about it, although I did this 3 years ago, so I may be forgetting something.

Dammit - I knew I missed something!

I tried to use the stock ball joints with hardened washers as spacers, but the one side kept making noise when I hit bumps, so I tore it down again and bought new 94+ ball joints from Auto Zone (along with borrowing their separater tool). Worked like a charm.

#2 is the correct answer.. Ryan you can also get the whole rear disk setup cheap out of a lincoln lsc.. along with the front rotors and calipers. Also when upgrading your booster and master cylinder make sure the booster has a slight bend in it..
Te Lincln stuff works just as good but i think there may be a problem with mounting the centercaps on bullets..